What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTT wiring question, going from Icom to Dynon radio.

Mdragon

I’m about to install new Dynon radio, and am confused by the PTT diagram.
I’m wanting to keep the PTT that is already installed in the sticks without having to rewrite that part. I think the ICom PTT pin is 16. Do I just take this wire and connect it into the new radio harness, or is it more complicated than that? I didn’t wire the sticks, previous owner did. Seems like both copilot and pilot PTT somehow terminate into on wire.

Just confused as the install manual and intercom harness have multiple PTT connections looking at the install instructions.

What intercom? Usually there will be 4 inputs to the intercom (pilot mike, pilot PTT, copilot mike, copilot PTT) and 2 outputs to the transmitter (mike, PTT). The intercom should send the mike (and only that mike) whose PTT was pushed to the transmitter. If yours is wired that way, the new transmitter should just get the mike and PTT wires OUT from the intercom.

I have the dynon intercom box that is an add on to their radio. I currently have an icom ic-a220 that has a built in intercom. If I remember right, keying either PTT button on pilot or copilot stick open transmit, I think from both headsets. Could be wrong. Looks like the icom radio has only one PTT pin, on the #16 pin of the harness. Assuming both PTT's from the pilot and copilot stick feed into this, but could be wrong. First time wiring an aviation radio up.

Last edited:
Back