What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Master switch wiring dumb question

Mdragon

So I'm in the process of redoing my panel, and make the mistake of being sure I would remember how the wires attached on the master switch.

I have the standard cessna 1994-1-1 master switch.

I have figure out the master switch side, and simply want to know whether it matters which alternator lead goes to which attachement point. There are two for the master on the right, and of course two for the alternator on the left, aligned vertically.

I'm assuming the switch just provides continuity, and it doesn't matter which alternator lead goes to which blade on the switch.

But want to be sure!

Tracing where they go was unfruitful last night. One is a thin red wire, and the other a thicker white.

Assuming your panel was wired similar as depicted in Vans wiring diagram OP-10.
Note you have to determine which switch side is Alt Field & which side is Battery, they are not interchangeable.
Battery sw - small wire coming from Master Solenoid & other wire goes to Ground.
Alt Field sw - one wire coming from the Field breaker or fuse on master buss, other wire goes to back of alternator.

I know which wires are ground and relay for master. Those are attached and master works. Question is whether or not it matters on the alternator side which of the two wires, which I don’t know which one is which, are attached to, or does
The alternator side just bridge those two wires anyway, so in other words doesn’t matter which wire goes to which terminal.

Back