What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlyLED install

My old PAR landing light took a dump so I replaced with FlyLEDs on both wings. Install not as easy as I hoped for with someone of my limited skills; for example, fabricating the adaptor plate, but results were excellent. Price was reasonable ($100 for each x 2). Huge upgrade over original set up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vc88no7n7g4e16k/IMG_4980.mov?dl=0

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_4945.jpg
    IMG_4945.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 412
Hi Mark
Thanks for the write up! I'd like to correct you though: you have some great fabricating skills there... well done.
You might have missed it but we now sell an adapter plate for $10 that does the same thing as yours.

crop dimension 600 text.jpg

Thanks Paul! Love these. One quick question: the 2 diffuser plastic lenses that are included (I left off for now):
1. How much of a difference will they make? (what will they do IOW)?
2. I have 2 lenses: should I put both on one side as a taxi light or split install with one lens on right and other on left?
I could not find any information on how they work... probably lost paper work!
Mark

Hi Mark
The diffuser lenses spread the beam from a narrow 8 degrees to about 30 degrees, which should help with taxiing.
With your setup I'd put one on each side, whereas a tail dragger would likely put them on the one light that is aimed lower.
I'd recommend you try the lights without the diffusers first. If you're happy with the available light during taxiing then leave them off. All the more light reaching further ahead for landing!

Is the diffuser 30 degrees horizontal and vertical or 30 degree horizontal keeping 8 degrees vertical?

THIS ^^^^^ is one of the true joys of FlyLEDs. Terrific customer support.

When I purchased mine Paul emailed me a photo of the shipping receipt, literally as he was walking from the post office. While I like the product, I LOVE the service Paul provides!

Mark, I have the exact same set-up as you and also bought 2 of the landing light kits at Oshkosh to replace the halogen bulbs in the leading edges of my RV9. Your post is really timely and very helpful. I'm planning to do the kit construction/install next week.

All the best, Mike

How difficult is it to add the works kit to existing FlyLED wingtip lights? I do not know how to solder. I would like to stay with FlyLEDs and add the landing lights.
@Paul from Flyleds

I ordered my Flyleds from Flyboy Accessories, they offer to do the soldering for $150. I did the soldering myself, it was pretty easy.

Hi Mani
If you have a temperature controlled soldering iron and know which end gets hot then I'd encourage you to have a go! I reckon soldering is easier than getting ten good rivets in a row... (And yes, we can solder a kit for you too.)

Plan B: Install some light bays in the leading edges instead, available for the RV-10 as LL LENS KIT RV-10 from Van's, and/or Duckworks for those readers with other models. Then you can fit some of our Quad spots or our Seven Stars lights, depending on whether you wanted 'excellent' or 'outrageous' lights!
An example of cutting already painted and flying wings is shown here.

Completed the install of wingtip FlyLEDs today on my RV 9. What a great set of lights to go with the already installed tail light. Did my own soldering, Paul’s instructions made it real easy. Ruined a part, rang Paul, two days later a replacement part arrived in the mail, no charge, post free. Terrific service and nothing is too much trouble. Recommend FlyLEDs to new builders as the install is no fuss.

Back