What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque setting on inlet manifold with silicone gasket

Westerhuis

Hello

I have an engine that runs rough on low RPM. I have 'excluded' it being a mag issue.

Whilst fault finding, I found that the nuts holding the inlet manifold fairly lose. So I wonder if that is causing a bit of an air leak.

Does anyone happen to know what the correct torque setting would be with a rubberised / silicone gasket? See image.

Thanks

Roger

AM-JKLWh7lEPWjQIz3QO6lCL96B7NZ4Vu7HGMpf9Ebc_jcil1Irhbs27HWRtkzRE9XMwdzbprlBWtelTfhThUtMlQceY1LdhUhulReluRVRBLdaH1oqKblF-8upLHGPQgGFQiTO0MDklJK5IK-BPM1-0GY8H=w426-h568-no

I tried various silicone options for some time and the "correct" torque is the hardest thing to achieve and maintain. It depends on the durometer of the material, and frankly, most of it is so soft that the only way to maintain torque is to locktite or safety wire the bolts. Ive tried copper, silicone, composition, "no blow" exhaust gaskets - the only thing that fixed it for good is the SDS no leak flanges.

Silicone V/C Gaskets

A tough one, that.

I've seen silicone gaskets cut to shreads on one plane by too much torque, & more than one valve cover dangling by only 2 screws each (too loose, a Reno racer landing after a race!).

I have resorted to a 'feels good enough tightening that bulges the gasket just slightly (trial & error) secured with screws dabbed with a drop of thread locker.

Back