What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sedona in the Wind?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Question for veterans of service on the “USS Sedona” - Louise and I have been planning on flying down there for a few days starting tomorrow in the RV-6, but right now, the forecast for late morning (arrival time) is winds out of the south at 20 to 32 knots. Seems a bit sporty for a runway pointed southwest, and known to be an “interesting” place to land. I have landed a lot of airplanes in very interesting conditions in the past....but no need to tempt fate! Delaying a day is a perfectly acceptable option....

Any experience/opinions on those kind of winds on the “carrier deck” of KSEZ?

Paul

Recommend delaying one or two days. As you mentioned, forecast winds for tomorrow are pushing Northern AZ into red alert fire conditions. Several tweets from Flagstaff NWS attached below.

Landing downhill on RWY 21 in gusty south to south west winds is the worst combination for Sedona.

This time of year we routinely get 2 days of wind as fronts go through up north, followed by 4 or 5 really nice days (like today!). Then the cycle repeats until later in the spring when the fronts are so far north they do not impact us with winds.

Have a safe trip.

Dave

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.46.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.45.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.45.21 AM.png

I second the recommendation to delay Paul. I absolutely love flying into Sedona and have done it many times over 30 years, but with forecast winds being so high, you may be tempting fate a bit too much. Even with less winds, it’s a common pilot activity to sit in the restaurant and watch aircraft sometimes struggle to get down safely.

All the best, Mike

An alternate if necessary

Hi Paul
Another vote for delaying if possible, the nature of the terrain makes any wind from the valley hitting the mesa challenging, and of course more so the stronger it gets.

If you happen to need/want a stop in KPRC, I have a T hangar you can use, just send me a PM and I'll give my contact info.

Yeah, I've done one of those "sporty" landings on the USS Sedona within that wind range. Not planning on doing it again any time soon.

Although I guess it pales in comparison to one night into St. Kitts :).

Thanks all - you have confirmed what I was thinking! We’ll wait and see what Thursday brings, and if still doesn’t look good, then there is always another time....

And then there are these silly showers with mountain obscuration across Nevada - what’s all that about this time of year? I learned decades ago that there is a Murphy’s Law axiom that says “the farther in advance you plan a flying trip, the worse the weather will be on the day of the planned flight”. Prove me wrong.... ;)

Paul

Paul it best to stay home and wish you were there and not wishing that you are on the ground. No need to put your superior flying skills to the test. One of my favorite places to go also and it can be tricky.

Oh, come on-----cant be any windier than here;)

The main difference is the "clutching hand" effect of the wind coming up the face of the mesa, curling around, then at the downwind edge (the approach end) it trips over the edge with massive sink and turbulence.

The closest analog in our area would be Truckee runway 19 ( err 20 now)with a strong SW wind, mtn lee wave over Donner, massive sink off the approach end. Done that a few times in gliders. If faced with that in the RV-8, I would just go to Minden.

Paul,
Been there twice in the last month. I don't think anything not convective would exceed your talented hands and feet ... however there is always wisdom in waiting.
Whenever you get there I highly recommend visiting Rachel's knoll and the Honanki ruins.
If for whatever reason you find yourself AOG, give me a call and I'll get you anything you need from "The Valley".

Did a flight of 2 Rockets to SEZ this last Christmas and it was a nasty, windy day. Short final saw me (lead) needing a good long blast of full throttle to arrest the sink. Called a warning to #2 and he experienced the same thing. Other than that, the landing was uneventful. The runway is wide and long (for an RV), so there are plenty of options if things dont go exactly right.

Of course by the time we were tied down, the wind was calm. Figures.

Just be spring loaded to go around anytime after you come off the perch and you will likely have no problem.

Last edited:
Back