What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting 101: The Basic Tools

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
So I don't intend (as much as I would really like) to build an airplane any time soon. I don't think I really need the full $2K build kit that Cleaveland sells.

But I do want to learn some basic riveting techniques so I can do things like set nutplates, piano hinges, etc....while I'm doing my panel upgrade.

I also want to build the Vans toolbox kit and then maybe a control surface, but I like the toolbox and think it would make a fine handmade gift for a few friends.

What's the baseline level of tools that I can get away with? I know I need a drill and rivets and I'm guessing a basic dimpler. It's things like rivet guns and bucking bars and all the assorted extras that I might WANT but not necessarily NEED.

This is more about 101-level utility.

What say you?

(hint: I will go hunting for said tools once consensus is reached. :). )

(Also, I did search. I didn't see a basic tool list, although I did see some good suggestions from Avery...I'm just not sure all of that is overkill for my needs....I don't know what I don't know.)

-b

Basic

If you're goal is just the practice kits and maybe some basic work on the panel, here's a start. Assuming you already own stuff like a drill, bits, band saw, grinder (scotchbrite wheel), etc.
Others will add tools. Keeping in mind this is really basic. I don't see a DRDT or Pneumatic necessary to assemble a practice kit or install a hinge.

#40 & #30 Dimple dies
C-Frame (possibly optional)
Rivet gun
Tungsten bar
Manual squeezer (Cleveland big squeeze)
Countersink cage
#40 & #30 Countersink bit
Clekos

Bill, you need to define the mission: Do you want to learn riveting techniques, or assemble tool boxes? If tool boxes, you can build them with pull rivets, a simple manual puller, a few drill bits and a drill. To learn riveting techniques, you’ll need an air compressor, a rivet gun, a few different rivet sets, one or more bucking bars, maybe a back rivet set and bucking plate, countersinks, clecos,...
You do not need a band saw (use a hack saw, or a demel/cut off wheel, jig saw, whatever you own), you don’t need a scotch brite wheel (for this work you can do it by hand).

Bill, you need to define the mission: Do you want to learn riveting techniques, or assemble tool boxes? If tool boxes, you can build them with pull rivets, a simple manual puller, a few drill bits and a drill. To learn riveting techniques, you’ll need an air compressor, a rivet gun, a few different rivet sets, one or more bucking bars, maybe a back rivet set and bucking plate, countersinks, clecos,...
You do not need a band saw (use a hack saw, or a demel/cut off wheel, jig saw, whatever you own), you don’t need a scotch brite wheel (for this work you can do it by hand).

Fair points Bob. Besides toolboxes I want to make small repairs on my airplane, be able to install nutplates, fabricate and secure brackets, etc.

We use this tool list in sheetmetal classes for the practice wing & tool box projects

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Airventure Sheetmetal 101

This past Airventure we updated the Tools and Expendables lists for the Sheet Metal 101 workshops we put on twice a day.
The attachment includes the tools needed for 3/32 rivets, universal head (AN470) and countersunk (AN426). For other sizes you will need additional sets/bits/etc.
ACS is the workshop sponsor, so their part numbers are listed first. (We use old corded drill for the workshop/teaching environment, don't want to deal with batteries or the noise of air drills at 24 stations.)

Attachments

• Airventure Sheetmental 101 Tools.pdf
    418.7 KB · Views: 138
Back