What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

High Performance Sign-Off

rwayne

Well Known Member
Can my instructor friend give me a high performance sign-off in his RV10 if he is not charging me?

Can my instructor friend give me a high performance sign-off in his RV10 if he is not charging me?

Yes. An instructor need not charge money for their services.

edit: I think I misunderstood the question. The instructor may charge you for the instruction if they wish but they don't have to charge.

Last edited:
I dont know what happened to my post.....Check 91.319. While at it check 61.195 as well

Last edited:
Yes! Instruction in Experimental Aircraft

So, the way I read it is a CFI can give instruction in an experimental aircraft if 100hr inspections are done, but can only charge if given a letter of deviation authority from the FAA. Interesting....

Not exactly.

A CFI can instruct in any E-AB and charge for their time, not the plane. Thus, I can hire a CFI to instruct me in my RV-9.

If the E-AB's owner contact the FSDO and sign up their aircraft and do the maintenance as you describe (100 hours and more), then they can charge for the airplane as well.

I think this is a gray area. Several folks that I know that have a LODA for their RV-10 are not allowed to give the high performance signoff in their RV-10. They are only allowed to provide transition training. The LODA restricts them from providing training that can be provided in a certified aircraft.

Back