What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

X-Series oil cooler

harleyl

Has anybody out there tried the new
X-Series oil cooler by Airflow Systems?
If you have, how about a report?

Thanks,
Pat

bumping this thread...

looking for info on the x-series oil cooler?
worth it?

does it fit behind cyl #4 on the baffles? or firewall mount only?

managed to severe one thread/fitting on the standard van's cooler while installing a fitting (used ez-lube etc...). my guess beyond repair. must have been an issue with either the oil cooler or the npt-thread on the elbow.

rgds,
bernie

<title deleted>

Wondering if we have any new empirical data on these units.

I am installing oil squirts in my engine and am considering a new cooler to compensate for the likely hotter oil as a result.

Any PIREPS on quality and size would be appreciated.

:) CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Wondering if we have any new empirical data on these units.

I am installing oil squirts in my engine and am considering a new cooler to compensate for the likely hotter oil as a result.

Any PIREPS on quality and size would be appreciated.

:) CJ
As I understand it, the Airflow system that VANs uses are the X series coolers and what is supplied for the RV14, 2006-x. The oil squirts will for sure raises the oil them and lower the CHT. I would recommend a 2006-X if you can fit it.

X series

I have one on my Rv-10, the advantage was that I could order a slightly bigger cooler with 2 more rows of fins for extra cooling capacity. I have about 75 hours of time and so far it has worked fine and cooled the oil as expected, never seen over 200F oil temp even on 90F+ air temp days.

Bryan

I am expecting the oil temps to increase with the addition of the piston skirt oil nozzles.

In preparation for that, I am planning on installing the firewall mounted RV10 oil cooler mount with the EA OIL COOLER 20006A that Van supplies.

If anyone trolling this thread has pictures of their installation, I would appreciate it.

Darwin is sending me some and there have been a few other posts here containing them as well. I saw one particular picture with the oil cooler mounted diagonally and clocked to about the 1-2 o'clock position in order for the scat tube to clear the engine mount.

There is just such little room in these planes for things like this on the firewall.

:cool: CJ

Back