What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil quick drain access door RV 7A

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
Just removed lower cowling on my RV 7A to access the quick drain plug. Piano hinges night mare. This cowling is not going back on until I have installed an access door on the lower cowling to get at the drain plug. Does anyone have photos of a solution? There are a few used Bonanza C 35 doors available on EBay but I think something might be able to be fabricated out of aluminum to fit and look better.

Thanks in advance.for ideas and photos.

A lot of folks prefer to remove lower cowling during oil change so they can visually go over everything else usually covered up.
A suggestion- make it easier to remove the lower cowl by replacing the bottom hinges with a row of nutplates & just screw the lower surface to the belly.

Attachments

• vaf cowl.jpg
    vaf cowl.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 193
Are you talking about replacing bottom piano hinges with cam locks?

Could be Camlocks, or just screws.
I usually have 3 screws per side.
- .063 plate riveted to the firewall flange
- K1000-8 nutplates riveted to that
- MS24693S51 countersunk screws (could be stainless, but I prefer cad plated)
- A3135-SS-017 #8 Tinnerman washers

I'd keep the piano hinges and learn to install them, there are tricks. My 10 friend can do his cowling faster than my 7 with Skybolts.

You can learn the tricks!!

Otherwise you will have rude surprises when you finally do take off the cowl, assuming it still lands at an airport.

What?

Just removed lower cowling on my RV 7A to access the quick drain plug. Piano hinges night mare. This cowling is not going back on until I have installed an access door on the lower cowling to get at the drain plug. Does anyone have photos of a solution? There are a few used Bonanza C 35 doors available on EBay but I think something might be able to be fabricated out of aluminum to fit and look better.

Thanks in advance.for ideas and photos.

Why would you NOT want to take that time as a good opportunity to remove the lower cowl and look the engine over closely?

Piano hinges

At first I thought piano hinges with a 3 blade prop would be the death of me but now with appropriate time and learning techniques it's almost a non-event. I can't imagine giving my FWF a quick once over removing upper and lower cowling every 4 months is not worth it. (Just Boelube the hinge pins every time and nothing to it)

What’s not right is this piano hinge attachment for the lateral bottom section of the lower cowling. Looks great. Very slick. However not enough room at the exit vent to get my meaty paw in there to get the hinge pins started.

What’s not right is this piano hinge attachment for the lateral bottom section of the lower cowling. Looks great. Very slick. However not enough room at the exit vent to get my meaty paw in there to get the hinge pins started.

Use vise grip pliers to remove and install the lower pins. Tape on the jaws keep from scaring the pin.

Oil change is more than draining oil, replacing filter (cutting open looking for metal) and buttoning it up..

Inspect EVERYTHING, fasteners, hoses, wires, engine mount, engine, baffle, ignition leads, belt, exhaust, induction tubes, oil drain lines, throttle and mixture cables, alternate air/carb heat......

Back