What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PH Aviation flap actuator conundrum

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Asking this question of those who have installed the PH Aviation flap actuator in their -14/-14A. I just started riveting together the angles & shims to the modified Van's flap motor mounting brackets. Before going further, I got to wondering about how I would be riveting the assemblies to the flap motor channel. I don't see any way that I can buck any rivets under the angles. If I disassemble the angles & shims from the brackets, I could possible even squeeze the rivets that mount the brackets to the channel. However, as it is right now with the assemblies together, I can just barely get my thinnest bucking bar between the shop heads of the rivets on the two brackets. No way I can buck a rivet there. How have you overcome this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 155
Looks like a good spot for a pull rivet.

With those rivets bearing all the air loads on the flaps, they would have to be very special pulled rivets. Not saying there aren't any that could do it but I'd want to make sure they were the right ones (and I don't know which ones could do it).

Cherrymax rivets

Aren't those the spots to use the CR3213-4-2 CherryMax rivets per the PH Aviation instructions? Copied below:

Step 21: (Perform this and the following steps after riveting the upper end of the F-01405 flap motor channel to the F-01405F mid fuse brace in step 1 on page 32-07.)

Cleco and rivet the finished bracket assemblies to the F-01405G flap motor channel and F-01405F mid fuse brace. Leave the lower two prepunched #30 rivet holes in the F-01405G flap motor channel open.

Use CR3213-4-2 CherryMax rivets in place of the AN470AD4-4 rivets called for in the remaining six #30 rivet holes.

Aren't those the spots to use the CR3213-4-2 CherryMax rivets per the PH Aviation instructions? Copied below:

Step 21: ...Use CR3213-4-2 CherryMax rivets in place of the AN470AD4-4 rivets called for in the remaining six #30 rivet holes.

I guess I stopped reading after the first sentence of that second paragraph of Step 21.

Thanks! Question answered!

The installation instructions from PH Aviation say to make the brackets from aluminum angle only .063 (1/16) inches thick. That doesn't seem very robust, is this what people actually are using? Also, what alloy, 2024T3, 6061T6 or what?

Thanks,

Tom

The installation instructions from PH Aviation say to make the brackets from aluminum angle only .063 (1/16) inches thick. That doesn't seem very robust, is this what people actually are using? Also, what alloy, 2024T3, 6061T6 or what?

Thanks,

Tom

We use 2024 T3 angle in our flap install kits, specifically 1.5 X 1.5 X 0.063". Because the load is in shear, 0.063" thickness is plenty robust and is what Vans uses for their flap motor installation in the kits. Spruce carries it.

Flap actuator

We use 2024 T3 angle in our flap install kits, specifically 1.5 X 1.5 X 0.063". Because the load is in shear, 0.063" thickness is plenty robust and is what Vans uses for their flap motor installation in the kits. Spruce carries it.

Did PH Aviation put together an install kit for each model?
I have the Actuator but it would be nice to have a plug & play ser of parts.

Did PH Aviation put together an install kit for each model?
I have the Actuator but it would be nice to have a plug & play ser of parts.

Larry, we recently began offering RV Max install kits for the RV-6, -7, and -9 aircraft. A customer just sent us these photos of his recent installation in an RV-7. More pictures and details on the website.

Attachments

• kit_01.jpg
    kit_01.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 140
  • kit_02.jpg
    kit_02.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 145
Larry, we recently began offering RV Max install kits for the RV-6, -7, and -9 aircraft. A customer just sent us these photos of his recent installation in an RV-7. More pictures and details on the website.

How much modification would these require for an RV-14? It doesn't look like it would take much?

-Dan

That's what I need. I'll check the website

Aluminum angle 2024T3

Thanks again for the previous responses. I have been looking for a source for making the brackets for my RV-14, but can't find any angle that meets the spec (1x1x.063 2024T3). None of the following stock it: Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, Airparts, Inc., or Online Metals.

Does anyone have a source, or perhaps a spare piece? Less than a foot (2x4-inch brackets) is needed.

Thanks!

Tom

Thanks again for the previous responses. I have been looking for a source for making the brackets for my RV-14, but can't find any angle that meets the spec (1x1x.063 2024T3). None of the following stock it: Aircraft Spruce, Wicks, Airparts, Inc., or Online Metals.

Does anyone have a source, or perhaps a spare piece? Less than a foot (2x4-inch brackets) is needed.

Thanks!

Tom

Try https://aircraftextrusion.com/

Out of curiosity, is 6061-T6 not workable in your application? Van's uses it for angle "all over" (AA6-nnn-nnn, etc..)

Last edited:
RV-14 instructions do not specify the type of angle

In the "Installation of PH Aviation Flap Actuator in RV-14" document, it simply says "Aluminum angle, 1” x 1” x 0.063”". So I installed T6 1"x1"x0.063" angle I purchased from Vans. Will this be sufficient?

To uninstall and redo will be a real bear.

Thanks!

Tom
Look at part number 03-47200, A.N.D. number 10133-1001 on Aircraft Spruce.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/alumangle.php

Thanks!

Tom

Sorry for the late response. Spruce has it here for $3.60 a foot. 6061-T6 is also fine.

Back