- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:12 PM

Default POH?

I purchased a RV 7 with a O-320 (160 Hp carb) engine. I know it is experimental but one thing I missed in the prebuy was any sort of a POH. All it really has is the W&B and a 4 page document that is titled with the builders name, AC serial number and says “Operation Limitation” but nothing is filled out with any speeds. And it talks about limits during phase 1, phase II.

Looking for information on what should be in the aircraft and what you all do yourselves. I put my email below if it is easier to share.

Thank you,

Carl Koele
Ckoele at gmail.com

Last edited by Koelemon68 : 07-06-2022 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:30 PM

Carl,
Samples of POH’s on this site.
Home page.
Left side about half way down.

Boomer

RV 7A--"MISS MARIE"--- N177WD (SOLD FLYING)72742
VAF #582-----------------EAA LIFETIME MEMBER
EX -KC-135A -------------BOOM OPERATOR #3633
VAN'S FLIGHT------------#6930

RETIRED————————-Enjoying life

See you in OSHKOSH

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ley&project=84

=VAF= 2006-2022 DUES PAID
Old 07-06-2022, 12:44 PM

It seems like you are quite new to Van's E-AB airplanes in general. This link from Van's Aircraft provides some other info that you should be aware of:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-tec...g-a-flying-rv/
Old 07-06-2022, 01:16 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
It seems like you are quite new to Van's E-AB airplanes in general. This link from Van's Aircraft provides some other info that you should be aware of:
https://www.vansaircraft.com/faq-tec...g-a-flying-rv/
That link states "regulations require an Operator’s Handbook". Is this a new regulation, I've not seen that before.

Mel...what say ye?
Old 07-06-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
That link states "regulations require an Operator’s Handbook". Is this a new regulation, I've not seen that before.

Mel...what say ye?
I noticed that also, and I don't believe that is correct for E-AB aircraft. SLSA and ELSA, yes.

Here is a previous thread on the subject:
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=115014

Per Mel in Post #8 in the above link:
"POH is highly recommended but not required. The Operating Limitations issued by the inspector complies with the POH requirements."

Last edited by RV8JD : 07-06-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:53 PM

Sounds like you are a prime candidate to follow the EAA Flight Test Manual & Test Cards process. You will really 'learn' your aircraft & the process will give you valid (for your aircraft) data to build a real POH.
https://www.eaa.org/shop/product-category?i=941&pi=926
Old 07-06-2022, 04:18 PM

While the test cards linked above are a great way to establish V speeds and other portions of the POH, I think they're only half the story. The POH should also have system architecture and emergency procedures in it. How your aircraft fails and how you should respond to it are mainly based on how it was built. If the aircraft didn't come with a wiring diagram, it would be prudent to list out the major components, which items are on which circuit breakers, etc. Having a POH from the original builder is a huge help since they know the layout the best, but if you didn't get one, you just need to spend the time to create enough documentation that makes you comfortable to go fly.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koelemon68 View Post
I purchased a RV 7 with a O-320 (160 Hp carb) engine. I know it is experimental but one thing I missed in the prebuy was any sort of a POH. All it really has is the W&B and a 4 page document that is titled with the builders name, AC serial number and says “Operation Limitation” but nothing is filled out with any speeds. And it talks about limits during phase 1, phase II.
The V speeds should be listed in either the Ops Limits or log book to complete Phase 1. Does your log book have the sign off for Phase 1? If so and the V speeds are not listed then it may not be proper and you may have to redevelop the V speeds. If it has not been signed off then you have other issues to complete Phase 1.

1950 Navion - flying
RV-6 - first flight 5/6/2021
1940 Rearwin Cloudster project in progress
4 L-2 projects on deck
Old 07-06-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koelemon68 View Post

Looking for information on what should be in the aircraft and what you all do yourselves. I put my email below if it is easier to share.

Thank you,

Carl Koele
Ckoele at gmail.com
A POH isn’t required, however, the letter titled “Operating Limitations” must be carried onboard..
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020