What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Wiring Kit

Jasonm

Well Known Member
Hi all,
Well we've decided not to sell the kit and continue the build. :D:D:D:D:D

Can anyone tell me what all is included in the Vans Wiring Kit and if it's the way to go?

Thanks
Jason

Unless you are building a very vanilla, minimalist aircraft, my recommendation would be to take a look at either one of the Bob Nuckolls designs or take a look at the Vertical Power VP/X.

I don't know if Van's includes the electrical kit drawings on their new plans CD or not. The plans are good for giving you ideas on how to do a few tasks.

I only bought the heavy wiring (Battery/contactor/starter) from them, already the correct length, with correct ends on them.

Yep---Its in the CD's, but like Bob said, it may or may not apply to you or your plane.
Tom
P/S---the CD's are great!
T

Unless you are building a very vanilla, minimalist aircraft, my recommendation would be to take a look at either one of the Bob Nuckolls designs or take a look at the Vertical Power VP/X.

I don't know if Van's includes the electrical kit drawings on their new plans CD or not. The plans are good for giving you ideas on how to do a few tasks.

The cd plans do have the electrical in it.

I had Vans include the wiring harness with the FWF order. I would have been better off had I just bought the wire I needed and did my own thing. A very wise gentlemen (Paul Dye) told me once "Every wire bigins and ends somewhere." I followed that approach and it all seems to work.

Too much wire...

I'm putting in a Dynon SkyView with a Vertical Power electronic circuit breaker system. I initially thought I was going to use an aft battery position and was guided to buy the Van's wiring kit, if, for no other reason than to get the big battery cable already cut to length and with the terminals already squeezed on each end. "You'll end up shredding the rest of the harness and using most of it.." I was told.
Well…since I changed my battery location to the firewall, I've removed that big, monster cable. As it turned out, the wiring kit that I got from Vertical Power, along with a couple rolls of black/white 20 AWG wire, and a lot of terminals, has left me with ….the Van's wiring harness draped over my wings.
Yes,. I've "harvested" a couple of wires from it, but, in hindsight, I would not have missed it, if I had known I didn't need the monster cable to begin with.
I had already purchased the starter and battery solenoids from B & C.

I'm putting in a Dynon SkyView with a Vertical Power electronic circuit breaker system. I initially thought I was going to use an aft battery position and was guided to buy the Van's wiring kit, if, for no other reason than to get the big battery cable already cut to length and with the terminals already squeezed on each end. "You'll end up shredding the rest of the harness and using most of it.." I was told.
Well?since I changed my battery location to the firewall, I've removed that big, monster cable. As it turned out, the wiring kit that I got from Vertical Power, along with a couple rolls of black/white 20 AWG wire, and a lot of terminals, has left me with ?.the Van's wiring harness draped over my wings.
Yes,. I've "harvested" a couple of wires from it, but, in hindsight, I would not have missed it, if I had known I didn't need the monster cable to begin with.

:cool: Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for all the help guys.

Jason

Well?since I changed my battery location to the firewall, I've removed that big, monster cable. As it turned out, the wiring kit that I got from Vertical Power, along with a couple rolls of black/white 20 AWG wire, and a lot of terminals, has left me with ?.the Van's wiring harness draped over my wings.

Just out of curiosity, what motivated you to move the battery to the firewall?
John

Battery moved...

John,
I changed my mind about C/S prop. Decided to do what my gut told me: build a simple plane for ME, not anyone else?so I switched to a Catto, and rewired for a firewall-mounted Odyssey battery.:eek:

John,
I changed my mind about C/S prop. Decided to do what my gut told me: build a simple plane for ME, not anyone else?so I switched to a Catto, and rewired for a firewall-mounted Odyssey battery.:eek:

OK, good enough reason. My only suggestion is to still pull the big #2 wire from the tail - in case you ever change your mind.
John

Back