What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotor minimums

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I need to turn my rotors but don't know the minimum thickness. I called Vans to ask but they don't know. They said there are 2 types of brands. I believe one is Matco and can't remember the other one. Unfortunately I don't know which brand I have. My 6 was built in 2000. If I could get the minimums for both brands that would be great so next time I remove the pants I'll already know.

Thanks,
Daren

P.S. I just want to add a comment. I've owned by plane for a little more than 2 yrs and have met a lot of great RV'ers. What a great community.

In order I've met
Ron Simonton. Thanks for giving me my 1st ride in an RV and call for plane info every so often
Vic Syracuse - Did my 1st pre-buy
Mike Kalfsbeck - I met him thru Ron and we fly regularly together
Jesse Saint - What can I say. A super person who has help me get my plane to where it is. Has allowed me to use his hangar and house me on late night hours working on my plane. I'm very very appreciative!!!
Lucas Doepker - Mike's friend who I own another plane. Lucas gave me my first private jet ride, boy talking about incredible climb performance, 4000fpm
Dan & Bruce (Ron's hangar buddies)
Bill (use to be out at Tampa Exec and now operates out at Wimauma Airport)
Gary Arthur (my hangar buddy at Tampa Executive. He has an RV-4)
Dan Horton - Who I met back in Aug to buy Alan Fulmer's RV-7. What a wealth of information, it should be illegal. LOL
And many others from fly-ins, most recently, Petit Jean. What a great event. I will definitely be attending again.

Last edited:
Cleveland min thickness by part number. Part number is 164-01700. Min thickness is .167”.

FAE9347-D-DE68-4-B9-C-88-DE-E08-A5-E3-C5-DCE.png

5-D822-CC7-BD78-4976-87-D8-7380210563-A7.png

4-C10-F9-B5-9841-4-CB9-B06-A-9-AAAC3-A2-A7-EB.png

E93623-BB-F34-D-47-E5-BD04-8-C4-EBF1-FEF1-E.png

Last edited:
Likely Grove, but could be Cleveland. Each of the 3 companies lists their dimensions on line.

If you have Grove wheels and brakes be sure and buy original Grove pads, direct from Grove.

In my experience the RAPCO pads have very course embedded bronze chips that score and gouge rotors that would otherwise last for years with Grove pads.

Pull the pants and ID what you have. The short way is the long way.

I need to turn my rotors but don't know the minimum thickness. I called Vans to ask but they don't know. They said there are 2 types of brands. I believe one is Matco and can't remember the other one. Unfortunately I don't know which brand I have. My 6 was built in 2000. If I could get the minimums for both brands that would be great so next time I remove the pants I'll already know.

Thanks,
Daren

P.S. I just want to add a comment. I've owned by plane for a little more than 2 yrs and have met a lot of great RV'ers. What a great community.

In order I've met
Ron Simonton. Thanks for giving me my 1st ride in an RV and call for plane info every so often
Vic Syracuse - Did my 1st pre-buy
Mike Kalfsbeck - I met him thru Ron and we fly regularly together
Jesse Saint - What can I say. A super person who has help me get my plane to where it is. Has allowed me to use his hangar and house me on late night hours working on my plane. I'm very very appreciative!!!
Lucas Doepker - Mike's friend who I own another plane. Lucas gave me my first private jet ride, boy talking about incredible climb performance, 4000fpm
Dan & Bruce (Ron's hangar buddies)
Bill (use to be out at Tampa Exec and now operates out at Wimauma Airport)
Gary Arthur (my hangar buddy at Tampa Executive. He has an RV-4)
Don Horton - Who I met back in Aug to buy Alan Fulmer's RV-7. What a wealth of information, it should be illegal. LOL
And many others from fly-ins, most recently, Petit Jean. What a great event. I will definitely be attending again.

Turn rotors?

What do you mean you have to ?turn rotors? ? Like cut the rotors as if it were a car? I don?t think you do that with airplanes.. just replace pads or replace the rotors, we don?t machine them. At least I never heard of that on aircraft!

As cheap as drums and rotors are these days, it's rare to even turn them on cars anymore. I would think that airplanes--where weight is at a premium--wouldn't have enough material left to safely turn.

I'm willing to be educated, though.

Buy new rotors. They won't even turn them on cars anymore. Consider how much energy those relatively small rotors have to absorb if you decide to abort a takeoff at high speed. This is not a item to cheap out on,

Back