What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need carberator help

gmpaul

I have a RV-9, 0-320, 160hp. My Marvel MA4-SPA (105217) is getting well worn. When I originialy built I had to drill out the main jet with a #19 bit if I remember correctly. What model carberator should I buy to replace it with out having to drill out a new main jet. Thanks

try these guys

I've used these guys for many years. Fuel injection Pitts S2A, Christen Eagle, Stearman(currently flying), Super Cub with a Marvel MA like yours. They've been around a very long time and are convenient for you.
Aircraft Carburetor & Injection Service of Texas
FAA Repair Station IOFR546Y
P.O. Box 399
Justin, Texas 76247
www.aircraftcarbs.com
tel: 940 648-2277

You could send it straight to Marvel for a overhaul. Tell them the engine it's on and about the jet size. I was happy with their service.

I have a RV-9, 0-320, 160hp. My Marvel MA4-SPA (105217) is getting well worn. When I originialy built I had to drill out the main jet with a #19 bit if I remember correctly. What model carberator should I buy to replace it with out having to drill out a new main jet. Thanks

I replaced the carb on my 160 hp O-320 E2D with an overhauled 10-5135 purchased from Aircraft Spruce. It has worked perfectly for 300+ hrs. This was the carb recommended in the Kelly Aerospace application chart:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/Facet%20Marvel%20Schebler%20Carburetor%20Cross%20Reference%20and%20Engine%20Application.pdf

Last edited:
When my then new to me RV-9A had high EGT, I called the factory and told them what was going on. They recommended a carb that I bought from Aircraft Spruce, and I think it was an exchange. That carb was richer than the previous carb, and it almost did what I wanted. The factory suggested I send that carb back to them for adjustment. I did, they did, and all was well.

I also asked about drilling out the jet, and I found out that is a really, really bad idea.

My contact was:

Mark Keeney Jr.

Marvel-Schebler A/C Carburetors
125 Piedmont Ave.
Gibsonville NC 27249

[email protected]
(336)446-0002 Office
(336)446-0007 Fax
1 855-672-2272 TF

Back