What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Personality

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So from day one of building I have had my paint scheme in mind and today I got my first taste of it and couldn't be happier. I wanted to get my tailwheel mount powder coated before install so I decided to get my rudder pedals done at the same time. I got everything done in black except for the pedals themselves and It turned out awesome. I took some more parts to him today to do those as well.

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo8.jpg

-david

Beautiful!

David,

Those are NICE! I really like the contrasting look of the rivets. Back when I was doing mine I took them in and had all the parts anodized. Anodizing is another option and comes in a rainbow of colors. Powder-coating is an option I hadn't thought of. I can see why you're so pleased!

By the way, here's a shot of how mine turned out:

100_6857%20(Small).JPG

100_6856%20(Small).JPG

Later on, I had the side rails for my tip-up fuselage anodized to match. Maybe it's something you might consider, if you like. Here's how that turned out:

P1000412%20(Small).JPG

David,

Those are NICE! I really like the contrasting look of the rivets. Back when I was doing mine I took them in and had all the parts anodized. Anodizing is another option and comes in a rainbow of colors.
<snip>

One really nice aspect to anodizing like this is that it creates a layer of aluminum oxide on the surface which is very hard and wear resistant.

Both of your guys brake pedals look great!

Wear characteristics?

Good thread. I was just wondering which technique would hold up to wear better? I like both methods as far as cost and availability in my area, but I'm curious about wear.

Last edited:
the powder coating is a material added onto the surface of the aluminum. Anodizing is converting the surface layer of al into an al oxide. if they wear at the same rate, you will be wearing into al on the anodized option immediately, while the powder coating will be worn for some time before you get to the aluminum underneath. hopefully you kick all the rocks out of your shoe tread before you go rubbing them up and down on your brake pedals ;)

either one will probably last a long time and still look good. the least powder coating is going to add is .001 to .003, and there are ways to get much more than that.

Wear

Good thread. I was just wondering which technique would hold up to wear better? I like both methods as far as cost and availability in my area, but I'm curious about wear.

In my experience, the powder coat is going to wear much like good paint, it will fail eventually on rudder pedals. The anodizing is much harder, but if it is exposed to sun, the color will fade.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

According to Van's, anodizing reduces the fatigue life of a part. Probably not a factor on so many parts like the rudder pedals, but something to bear in mind.

Dave

Back