What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For Tandems Only!!!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, we?ll let the -3 guys read this as well?.but NONE of those pesky side-by-side or ?family model? folks need proceed any further!!:D

OK, are we alone? Good! Let?s face it guys (and gals) ? we have a problem when it comes to going to camp-outs, fly-ins, or Oshkosh. The problem? How the heck do you carry a chair along?! One of the few issues I have with our Tandem designs is that no matter how hard you try, you can?t get a ?regular? sized folding chair to fit into the baggage compartment. Sure ? you can get one in if you let it protrude into the rear seat area (the RV-3 guys are going ?rear seat? What?s he talking about??). But if you are taking someone along, that?s just not an option?..

Oh yeah, there are the really cheap folding chairs that don?t have any arms ? Walmart carries them this time of year for about $6 each. We have a pair, and they DO fit cross-wise in the forward baggage area ? but they aren?t very comfortable, and the stiching tends to rip out pretty quick. I consider them to be disposable, and for emergency use only. The standard folding chairs with arms? Too long when folded to fit. I have done a lot of shopping around, and even when you look in the backpacking world, you?re pretty much out of luck?.almost?.

I must give credit to Louise for this find ? the "Alite Monarch Chair". She ran across them on her last shopping expedition through the REI catalog, and they were just intriguing enough that we bought a pair ? one red, one blue (they match our airplanes). They certainly meet the criteria of ?small? when packed ? just 13? long, and 4.5? in diameter. And they certainly are ?unique? ? only two points of contact with the ground, and you just lean back and balance in them. Which, when you think about it, is what a lot of us do in a four-legged chair when we want to be comfortable. Built very rugged, like good mauntaineering gear.

We haven?t used them for a long period of time yet, but they sure seem relaxing, and beat the heck out of sitting on the ground, kneeling, or crouching. I am looking forward to trying them out at Oshkosh ? they are easy enough to clip on your belt and pop them out when you want to sit and watch airplanes! And best of all, they can fit just about anywhere in a Tandem (or single seat) RV, so we don?t have to stand around admiring the Barco-loungers brought in by the wide-body crowd?.(I can say that ? we do have the -6 in the family?.);)

Pictures:
All packed up ? you can hang it on your belt!
IMG_0276.JPG

A little Aluminum/Nylon Origami and it goes from the bag to a chair!
IMG_0275.JPG

I recommend looking at the instructions for the boarding procedure!
IMG_0274.JPG

Is it Comfortable? Works for me!
IMG_0273.JPG

Paul

... would come handy in Oz as well

Good one Paul...hope we can something like that "downunder"

Looks great, Paul! I'm just wondering about the balance issue after a few cold ones around the campfire ...

Let us know how that works out for you. Any chance for a test flight and pirep before you go to Oshkosh? :D

Last edited:
Kermit Chairs!

That looks nice, but I won't trade my Kermit Chair for it! Kermits fit in the front or rear baggage compartment of the 8 easily, as well as in my motorcycle luggage. They're not cheap, but they are beyond compare...

main.jpg

http://www.kermitchair.com/

Speaking from the "Bubba" perspective...

Some of us aren't really considered "FAA Sized Adults."
In my case, I'm over 6' and kinda heavy.
I'm wondering if those two little feet would just sink into the ground?:eek:

Last edited:
Here is a second vote for Kermit's chairs. I've had one for several years and used it at both BMW motorcycle events and on the "burn line" at Oshkosh. Mine has the leg extensions and makes it easier for older legs to get up and out of. They also have a "cup holder" but I haven't used it very much.:rolleyes: Comfortable, nicely built with wood and aircraft grade aluminum. Expensive but it's the last chair you'll buy.

Excellent Chair

Paul, your timing on this was perfect as I was in the market to replace my favorite chair that broke at OSH last year and needed one for Udvar Hazy next weekend to sit beside my plane all day. Your post also coincided with a 20% member discount coupon I received from REI. So off to REI I went yesterday and fell in love with this chair. It will fit perfectly in my RV4's map box sized storage area behind the rear seat. It is 18oz and the dimensions in the storage bag are 14"x 5". It is rated to hold 250lbs. The only downside is that now everyone in the family will want one and I got the last one at my store.

No holes...in the wheelpants, to add air?:D

Maybe he's using LeakGuard inner tubes and never has to add any???
:p

I put them on my Cherokee's mains in July 2008 and still have not had to add air yet. 23 months now and the pressure is still holding the same.

I have to second the Kermit Chair recommendation

I have two, and love them. They will also embroider them for you.

I got Miss Sue and the tail number. My son gave me the first for Christmas, and I bought the second for the real Miss Sue

I have to second the Kermit Chair recommendation....

Me three. Good, comfy chair that you can spend a lot of time in. Collapses into a small bag in less than a minute. Mine's dark blue to match my plane <g>.

My Kermit will never be as light as the one Paul found, though! That thing looks pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Back