What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build order logistics

gotyoke

Well Known Member
I'm planning to do as much work on the plane as I can in my shop before trailering it to a hanger. In part this is convenience, and part is I don't want to pay for a hangar until I need to. Given I'm not an experienced builder and don't (yet) have any special skills relevant to building a plane, I could see needing significant expert help when it comes to things like mounting the engine and installing avionics. Here are my questions:

1. Is it reasonable to do the engine and avionics off-airport? Is it common for local build experts to make house calls?

2. Could I wait until the time of "final" wing installation to "final" install the horizontal and vertical stabilizers too? This has to do with space in my shop.

Thanks!

Yes to both questions. The only reason you would need a hangar is because the width of the airplane with the wings on it. Do everything at your shop you can. When the wings need to be put on take it to the hangar. Your tail can go on at the hangar also if you so desired.

I'll just add you'll want to do as much as you can in your shop or garage (assuming these are at home). Those few hours in the evening after work make a huge difference over time amd you may even have some help readily available from your family when you need it, a luxury you probably won't find at a hangar. Keep going until you simply have to move it to the hangar, do everything except attaching the wings. It can all be done before going to the hangar, even the first engine start.

Just be warned that there's logistics behind getting a hangar too, so make sure you are considering that part. I was trying to find a hangar last week, turns out my name got erased from the waiting list so now I'm number 70 in line.

You don't want to get to the point where you want to bolt on your wings and have no where to do it.

Back