What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lazar

Belmont

I'm New Here
I have a Lazar electronic ignition installed in my RV8. The aircraft has 675 hours logged and is 17 years old. The non operating light on the Lazar is on continuously. 1. Can it be repaired ? 2. Is it worth repairing ?

Lasar system

The light being ON means the Lasar system is operating in backup mode as standard magnetos, rather than using the Lasar control system. The engine will be able to keep running if the control box fails, but it will not be able to re-start once shut down (unless, you have Lasar mags WITH the impulse coupling installed......these type seem to be rare in my experience).

The Lasar system is no longer manufactured or supported by Slick (now Champion). Progressive Air Services in Kamloops BC, Canada can do the 500 hour service on Lasar mags.

If your Lasar controller box has failed, you are out of luck as far as getting it fixed. You may be able to find a used one somewhere. They occasionally come up for sale here on VAF. Just make sure you get exactly the same model number control box. There were several types made, depending on aircraft buss voltage, fuel injected vs. carbureted engine, O-320 vs. O-360.

Hi All ,
Im looking for a Lasar Tool , T-300 to buy or borrow/Rent . Anyone know anyone with one ??

Thanks Alex

Back