What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ProSeal cartridges for an RV-12iS tank

You should only need one.

Vans have an excellent fuel tank build video they posted on YouTube - I would watch that first. You need a lot less than you think

I bought two cartridges but in hindsight wish I had gone with the quart. Once you mix the cartridge you have to work reasonably fast, which I apparently did not. When the first cartridge started getting hard to work with, I gave up for the day. Same thing happened with the second cartridge. I then ordered the quart and finished up the tank on my third session.

Keep the unmixed ProSeal and hardener in a freezer to slow deterioration and increase shelf life.

I build two tanks. One with cartridges, the other with the cans. I had trouble using the cartridges (the 2-hour ones) because it started to get thick and unworkable a little too fast. If you get slower-cure cartridges, I think that'd be perfectly fine.

Don't be afraid of mixing the ProSeal yourself and making small batches at a time. A $20 scale from Walmart was all I needed.

Various Uses

Go with the Quart. It doesn’t cost much if any more than 2-3 cartridges and there are a number of other places in the build where it is called out, recommended, or just darned handy. Also a good way to make new friends at your airport when they have an air or fuel leak!
2-cents
Dave

A little late, but a fair amount of RV-12 builders just buy the tank built and Pro sealed already from Van's, to avoid this.

Premade tanks are always an option, but I enjoy building. Working with fuel tank sealant isn’t the most pleasant task, but I built the tanks for my 9A, and they came out fine, so I think I can build the tank for the 12iS. I used a quart can for the 9A, so I was thinking about trying the cartridges, but after hearing the pros and cons, I think I’ll go with the quart can again.

It took an evening once I had everything scuffed etc and a good plan on how to approach - honestly once you watch the video and take your time really not that hard

It took an evening once I had everything scuffed etc and a good plan on how to approach - honestly once you watch the video and take your time really not that hard

Thanks, Julian. I did watch the video and learned a lot. I even took a couple of pages of notes to review when I'm in the shop!

Thanks, Julian. I did watch the video and learned a lot. I even took a couple of pages of notes to review when I'm in the shop!
Hey Mark how did using the quart of proseal work out?
I get my fuselage next week and thinking about tackling the tank 1st while I'm full of motivation.

Hey Mark how did using the quart of proseal work out?
I think it worked out fine. The big advantage is that you can mix up small batches of tank sealant as you need it. A couple of times I didn’t mix up quite enough sealant to finish a session, but I was able to mix up a new batch that was as small as 11 grams. (I was using a scale that measured in grams, so 10 grams of the white stuff and 1 gram of the black stuff gave me the proper ratio.) I used popsicle sticks for mixing and to get the sealant out of the containers.

To cut down on the mess, I ordered some 60 ml syringes from Amazon.com. I never mixed up anywhere near that much sealant at one time, but the large diameter of the syringe made it easy to use a popsicle stick to get the sealant into the syringe. Once you press the plunger, it pushes all the sealant to the pointed end of the syringe, and it comes out in a nice even flow that’s easy to control.

To keep your hands clean, buy lots of disposable gloves! Change them as soon as you notice you’ve gotten tank sealant on them, so you don’t accidentally get sealant in places where you don’t want it to go. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-In...396&sprefix=60+ml+syringe,aps,139&sr=8-5&th=1

Back