What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My experience with Up North Aviation's CNC instrument panel service

Overkill396

I'm New Here
Hello fellow RVers...

I am building an RV-7A in Brampton,Ontario,Canada and I will be installing a now Orphaned Blue Mountain Avionics Efis One as well as an Efis Sport for the passenger side.

I would like to offer my highest recommendation to Bill Morelli of Up North Aviation for the fantastic service he offers and the fine quality of his finished product as well as his incredible attention to detail and very clear, friendly and prompt communication throughout the entire design process.

Bill is a pilot, RV Builder, Licensed A&P as well as an EAA tech Counselor and obviously a first class fabricator from my experience.

I initially contacted Bill by email in November of last year with some questions about his process as well as some ideas with what I was looking for in my panel.

I decided early in the process that I would only end up butchering my panel if I attempted to lay it out and cut it by hand.

I decided to look for someone willing to both layout the panel in SolidWorks or AutoCad who also had the capability to cut the panel.

Bill fit my requirement perfectly and eventually, we settled on a "sectional panel" that consisted of a left, right and center section that are all individually mounted with screws and plate nuts that allow for maximum flexibility for access to the sub panel and any potential avionics retrofit in the future.

I simply ordered a blank panel from Van's which was drop shipped to Bill's shop and expertly cut on his CNC router table to create a beautiful frame to mount the individual sections to.

Many Emails were exchanged until the configuration looked just right and a full scale paper template was emailed in PDF format to me. I printed this template out in full scale and checked the fit of everything and it was dead on!

Bill has an extensive inventory of templates for pretty much any avionics configuration that you can come up with.

We decided to go ahead and cut the frame and sectional inserts and the finished product arrived in a very carefully packaged and labeled package just in time for Christmas! My avionics all fit exactly and no additional filing was required. What a pleasant surprise!

All in all, I would say that Bill's service is money extremely well spent and represents a fantastic bargain for one of those RV building tasks that can easily become dreaded or become an expensive chore that holds up your build after ruining a blank panel or two.

Bill definitely went the extra mile and was extremely patient with all of my ideas and questions.

I am well on my way now to completing my all glass cockpit and I will post photos as my build progresses.

Do yourself a favor when it comes to cutting your panel... Bill Morelli makes this task practically painless.

A great asset to the hombuilding community!

Thanks Bill!

Ditto for me

I ordered and received my custom engraved fuel caps in less than a week. Once the new caqs were received I returned the old caps with a check for the new caps. The new caps are beautiful and the service was absolutely impeccable.
I would give my highest recommendations to Up North Aviation

PANELS

Hi Bill

Thanks for the review, I will most likely do businees with Bill Morelli of Up North Aviation in the near future as I will redo my panel again in my RV-4..

Cheers

Bruno

I have been meaning to write a positive endorsement for Up North Aviation, but Overkill396 pretty much said it all.

Bill was great to work with throughout the entire process.

I couldn't be happier.

Thanks.
pdj

I have to second everything that has been said about Bill Morelli and Up North Aviation.

Bill is knowledgeable, patient to a fault (I think we went through seven iterations before locking my IP design down) and understands the importance of delivering true customer service.

One of my best vendor experiences to date. I promise you will not be disappointed!!:D

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, FL

UPNorth Aviation

Only seven iterations? I think I nearly drove Bill nuts with changes. But every time he came back promptly with exactly what I ordered. I've now received the panel and once powder coated, I'll start re-installing the avionics.

I highly recommend the services of UpNorth. If you're going to spend the kind of money we put into a panel, do it right.

One thing I found useful: I had the full scale file printed at actual size at Staples ($3.95) and then mounted it on 1/8 inch foamboard ($4.00) with contact cement. I placed the panel in position and then checked the actual experience against the theoretical. I made a couple small changes that I would have never realized unless I put the full scale mockup into the airplane.

Jim Thill
Leesburg, VA
RV-4 N444JT

Last edited:
Just wanted to add another +1 for UpNorth.

Before contacting Bill I called a local avionics shop that also advertises panel design and cutting services. Their quote to layout and cut: $1,500.

The last several weeks I have been back and forth with Bill until all the details were perfected, and yesterday he cut and ship my panel, and all for under $200.

No experience with other VAF vendors who I am sure are also great, but just wanted to share a positive experience.

1447alj.jpg

sor0b9.jpg

Back