What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit Size - Tall Pilot

BigJohn

Well Known Member
For those of you who have had the opportunity to test fly or at least sit in an RV-12 cockpit - I am about 6' 3" - do you think I would fit comfortably, or should I stop considering an RV-12?

For those of you who have had the opportunity to test fly or at least sit in an RV-12 cockpit - I am about 6' 3" - do you think I would fit comfortably, or should I stop considering an RV-12?

You likely will fit with no problems. Shorter people (5'5"-5'6", etc.) need to add extra bottom and back cushions even with the seat in the most fwd position.

RV-12 Cockpit

Honestly, I think you will be fine. It has a very roomy cockpit. I am 5' 11" and while flying the RV-12 I was able to put a clenched fist above my head with plenty of clearance... guessing I had at least 5" between headband of headphones and canopy. And for reference, I wear pants with a 32"/33" inseam... and had plenty of legroom.

However, that said... every "body" is different. Leg/torso ratios vary. If you are concerned, and can't test fly before purchase... I'd call VAN's and see if someone can measure seat base to canopy when closed. Maybe subtract an inch for a compressed cushion, and compare that to your own seated height measurement. My 2 cents anyway...

DJ

Last edited:
My son, who is 6'3" had a chance to sit in the RV-12 at this year's Sun & Fun. He didn't have any problem and had about 3" clearance with the canopy closed. As was mentioned earlier, every body is different but I think you'll be fine with the RV-12.

Good Luck! :)

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, FL

First than Van does when you sit in the 12 is put the canopy down and say, "see how much room you have over your head!" You will have no problem...its a great plane.

Pete

I'm 6'2" 225lbs and room was not an issue. Friend of mine is 6'4" and still had plenty of room to spare. 6'6" and probably 275lbs would be the "limit" would be my guess, you would still have plenty of room but getting out of the plane would be very difficult. Getting in would be easy, Ever sit in a couch that's really low to the floor and try getting up??

Depending on how much I slouch, I'm between 6'3" and 6'4", weigh 240 lbs, and fit in the red demonstrator just fine. Just as someone else said, getting in and out was something of a challenge (first time and I was scared of breaking something), but once seated all was great. I closed the canopy and had 1-2" of clearance above my head, and found the cockpit very comfortable. I dare say that there's almost the same amount of room in the -12 as the Cessna 310R I fly.

You won't have any problems!! :D

6-3, long inseam, big feet, and I was very impressed with the available legroom. If (when) I need to go sport pilot, it will be a 12.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking about taking a trip to the factory for a demo. If that doesn't happen, I'll have to wait until Sun-n-fun - but that is a long way off. If I commit to this project I'd like to get started over the winter. It would be my first project, but I think it sounds doable for a guy with decent mechanical skills and a heated garage. BTW, what IS the procedure for getting in and out of that deep cockpit?

You get in the airplane from the front of the wing (opposite most low wing airplanes). If you look at some pictures of the factory prototype, you will see a small step mounted on the fuselage in front of the wing where you step first. There's also a step location on the leading edge of the wing where you can step and pivot around to make your third step on either the seat, or if you're really tall you can step all the way to the cockpit floor. At this point get yourself in the cockpit the rest of the way and lower yourself into the seat.

I did a bad job describing this, but if you look at the pictures of the plane I think it will make a lot more sense. :eek:

You get in the airplane from the front of the wing (opposite most low wing airplanes). If you look at some pictures of the factory prototype, you will see a small step mounted on the fuselage in front of the wing where you step first. There's also a step location on the leading edge of the wing where you can step and pivot around to make your third step on either the seat, or if you're really tall you can step all the way to the cockpit floor. At this point get yourself in the cockpit the rest of the way and lower yourself into the seat.

I did a bad job describing this, but if you look at the pictures of the plane I think it will make a lot more sense. :eek:

Mike got it pretty close, but you don't need to be tall to step in without stepping on the seat. There is a raised step area just fwd of the seat that has a non skid surface and it is very easy for anyone too step to from the wing.
Once you are standing there with both feet you put one hand on the cockpit side rail and the other on the top of the opposite seat and sit down. Getting out is just a reversal of getting in.
The raised interior step area is just visible ahead of the right seat in this photo http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/RV-12/N412RV/12_panel.jpg

Short Pilot

At Oshkosh I asked about short pilots. My daughter (5'2") will be flying the -12. The Van's guy said it was going to be more difficult to fit her than a tall guy. In our -6 I have to add 3" blocks on the rudder pedals.

In the -12 article that just came out in Sport Aviation there is a comment quoting Van as saying something to the effect of "maybe we should put in another hinge" for a 5'7" pilot. I think that will be our solution but not until after it has been built and inspected. I looked at the seat pans (already done) and it would be easy to install one or even two more hinges.

Rich

Back