What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Montana Get A Way

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
After posting pictures in the "why stay current" thread, I have gotten some PM's asking about our place at Cabin Creek. So thought I'd give a little info.

runway.jpg

We bought a retirement lot here a couple years ago with the thought of building a loghome for retirement. Well, retirement is probably further away than I want to admit, so now we are planning on building a 1 bedroom logcabin that will eventually become a guest house.

similiar to this>
summer08034.jpg

For now it will be our getaway place. Once the RV is done, it will be ~1hr away.

The view out the left of my club spamcan is of Bitteroot Lake, while on left downwind for RY02.
IMG_3458.jpg

Bitterroot Lake is about 1 mile north. We enjoy paddling the kayaks around the lakes. No TV, no work, no phone(there is cell coverage). An A&P lives on the field. there is a small store and bar just up the road. Kalispell(S27) is roughly 15nm NE, which has a good FBO RedEagleAviation and 100yds to a big grocery store to stock up.

turning final RY02. 3400x60 paved(just resealed).
IMG_3459.jpg

The airpark is planning a late spring fly-in, I think it will be very lowkey affair. We plan on having our place available for friends to borrow if we're not there. Can't rent it out, due to covenants.(but may have a "maintenance donation" box). We'll see how things go, but are hoping to start building during next summer.

Nice stuff HG2, as mentioned in the other thread! Add me to the "jealous" list! Hmmm, now to plan that RNO to Montana trip, and get a look at that Big Sky!! ;)

Cheers,
Bob

Big Sky

I was in Montana foir the first time this year and was blown away.
Never seen a more beautiful place.
Winter though, a bit nippy I'd imagine.

I was in Montana foir the first time this year and was blown away.
Never seen a more beautiful place.
Winter though, a bit nippy I'd imagine.

It was 80 degrees yesterday here in Bozeman. Yes it does get cold, but we have very sunny winters generally. We get the clouds and precipitation mostly in the spring. One year I rode my motorbike until the 6th of December and had it out again on the 1st of March.

Please don't tell anyone outside of VAF how nice our winters are, we want to keep it a secret.

Hans

We bought a retirement lot here a couple years ago with the thought of building a loghome for retirement. Well, retirement is probably further away than I want to admit, so now we are planning on building a 1 bedroom logcabin that will eventually become a guest house.

similiar to this>
summer08034.jpg

For now it will be our getaway place. Once the RV is done, it will be ~1hr away.
So I'm guessing the hangar will be four times that size?

BTW, after seeing the picture of the log cabin, my wife is ready to sign up.

Very nice Brian! SOMEDAY I'll make it back out there!

Montana's special gift is space, landscape made personal;
space that reaches out to the horizon then comes back and gets under your skin.

It reaches inward, wraps itself around your soul, incubates and grows.
When you finally begin to understand just what it is about Montana that is important to you,
it has already taken root in your heart and you'll never be the same.

Glenn Law, from "More Than Skin Deep" in Montana Spaces

Ok, I'm in! I guess I just need to bring my camping stuff.

Probably about 30 minute flight, I'd hardly get my oil warmed up. :D

Karl

p.s. Brian, please send updates for the fly-in. I'd hate to miss it.

Ok, I'm in! I guess I just need to bring my camping stuff.

Probably about 30 minute flight, I'd hardly get my oil warmed up. :D

Karl

p.s. Brian, please send updates for the fly-in. I'd hate to miss it.

I'll post fly-in info whenever we figure it out. Don't hold your breath just yet. I'll end up bring camping gear also, unless we just fly home. You're closer than I am.

Really nice!

What does it cost to build a cabin that size, and a hangar for that matter these days, if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like a very nice place.

Really nice!

What does it cost to build a cabin that size, and a hangar for that matter these days, if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like a very nice place.

Depends on how much work you hire vs how much you do.

The pic above belongs to another person on the field, I think he ordered a turnkey cabin from somewhere, at a pretty penny(like $120/sqft):eek:

We are planning a dried-in shell which will run about $45/sqft. We'll do the rest. Remember there are other costs with either of these routes...permits, septic system, power, etc.

Hangars can also run the extreme. $15-100/sqft...pick your poison.

Wow, still no bargains out there (at least not at $120/ft.). I think I would be like you and be tempted to do as much as I could myself.

Good luck. Looks like a great place to pitch camp!

Back