What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 accident

Is this Dan Lloyd? Did I read correctly that its already been determined to be fatal?

Holly Stuff!

Our thoughts are with his family

Hi,

I met Dan at OSH this past year. We all had a good time at the RV-10 campsite trading lies and drinking beers. I'll be toasting Dan tonight with my wife. I'm not the religious type, but I'll say a prayer for Dan and his family anyway.

Sorry to hear that----------------lets hope this doesnt ignite a firestorm of speculation, spinning around the word "Subaru".

Just not the time for that.

RIP, Dan.

Last edited:
Thanks. I can't look at the pictures of the crash. I'd much rather look at pictures of Dan, happy around his RV. Thanks for forwarding the links for those, folks.

Prayers

Horrible news as it comes in, not only a fellow pilot but member of our Ohio RVators. I was going to ride to Oshkosh with Dan, but he was going to stay the week and display his install. Sad news.:(

I'm still in shock over the loss of Dan.

I found this e-mail when searching around the internet. Does anyone know if Dan ever finished the RV7A?

Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 9:23 AM
To: '[email protected]'
Subject: RE: [RV7Yahoo] More trailing edge bending fun

Put a 1/8" dowel in the bend and tape it into place. Do the bend, remove the
dowel. I then take the hand seamers, and a thick cotton sock ( To protect
from scratches) and gently squeeze between the stiffeners to help reduce the
pillowing that occurs. The skin should just lightly rest on the spar. The
way to check for a good bend is to take a flat edge and place it on the
surface. The surface should touch the flat edge all the way down to were the
bend occurs. This is a fine line, as shown in the picture, I WAG'ed it, then
had the tech counselor look at it and bent it some more. I was careful to
measure in several places and noticed that different areas need more hand
squeezer pressure than others. I have made three bends now and they turned
out pretty good. Hope this helps
Dan
RV-7(A)
Slow build wings

really sad

its especially painful to hear of the loss of an RVer. RIP Dan, my condolences to the family.

It's with a heavy heart that I write this because Dan was a larger than life guy full of enthusiam and so proud of his family and his RV-10. At OSH this year several of us -10 builders and friends gathered at Mike Sausens house for a pre OSH BBQ. Dan was so into how well the Egg performed but the real story came from his wife Tricia or as everyone called her Trish. She told us how they kept each other going to make the completion of the -10 happen. Their kids were there, beaming just like their Dad. Dan was picking Deems Davis's brian on how to get past just being an IT guy and become a CIO like Deems was for the AON corp. Just good fun and talk like all of us have when we get together. He stood by his airplane the next few days answering questions about it, making excuses for why the wings were painted and the fuselage was not. His family signed the inside of the parts as they were completed. He was always ready to offer help, offered his own vehicle for use if anyone needed it. He was what we as an RV community are, a friend even if we haven't met, a guy who lived for his family and would help anyone anytime he could. Just a good fun loving guy. Tonight I returned his check that he sent to me to help get Aircraft Mutual off and running on it's next step. I did something I haven't done for years, I wrote a simple letter expressing my sympathy to his wife. Not an email, no spell check, by hand. It felt very appropriate albeit very short because I could not find the words to write that could come close to easing the pain she and thier kids must be going through.

God Speed Dan, I lost a bunch of weight since OSH and that center console doesn't hit my knees now like you warned me about.

It's with a heavy heart that I write this because Dan was a larger than life guy full of enthusiam and so proud of his family and his RV-10. ..........

God Speed Dan, I lost a bunch of weight since OSH and that center console doesn't hit my knees now like you warned me about.

Well said, Rick.

I met Dan very briefly at OSH, he was a prime mover and will be missed by many.

His family is upper most on our minds. May God help them through this difficult time.

Accident

A great fear of mine is logging onto this site and finding something has happened to one of our members.
My condolences go out to Dan's family & friends.

I can't think of the right words so I'll use someone elses.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
-Shakespeare-

It's wonderful to climb the liquid mountains of the sky, Behind me and before me is God and I have no fears.
-Helen Keller-

The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious. And why shouldn't it be? ?it is the same the angels breathe.
-Mark Twain-

Oh, that I had wings like a dove, for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
-Psalms 55:6-

Oh Dan, "The Gadget Man", as we called him. You left us too soon my friend. Im going to miss arguing with you about who has the better gismos. Your love of life and everything RV will be long remembered and missed. Ill miss your calls discussing technology, and of course, who's RV is faster.

You did fine work while you were here. You will be missed. So much to say, too sad to type.
Blue Skies and tail winds my friend.
Best,

Sending my heart to the skies

As I sit here and click all the links petaining to Dan and his accomploshments, I feel I know him as many of you do, a fellow RV'r and friend. I also shed tears as many of you do. I find a place in my heart for Dan and all his family and friends and wish them well. I've have said a prayer and know he is in a better place now. We will miss you Dan.

-Jeff

I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Does anybody know if there is a fund anywhere for his family?
Rest in Peace
Brian Wallis

I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Does anybody know if there is a fund anywhere for his family?
Rest in Peace
Brian Wallis

Brian, and all, I am sharing this from Rick Gray on the Ohio Valley RVators list:

Hi Folks,

I don't have all the details yet and probably won't till late
tomorrow or Monday at the earliest.

I spoke to one of the Funeral Homes in Dan's hometown this evening.
She said that she has a record of 68 Funeral Homes in the area and
Dan wasn't listed as of late this evening. I was told that under the
circumstances the Funeral could be as late as Wednesday or Thursday.
Anyway, she told me to call back tomorrow so I will and will report
back as soon as I know more.

That said, general concensus from the group today was to send a
tree/flowers for Dan. I will call tomorrow but doubt the Florists
will be open so most likely Monday morning. The tree/flower
arrangement will be from The Ohio Valley RVators. If you want to
send something that is 'just from you'.....I'll be posting the
address for the Funeral Home as soon as I have it.

We're also going to take up a collection. I'll be the contact and
will deduct for the tree/flowers then forward the rest per Trish's
wishes.

We also agreed that we'd like to hold a little grass roots fly-in in
Dan's memory. I'll contact the Greenville Airport where Dan flew out
of in the near future and see if they'll help out.

For those wishing to give....I'll be collecting the donations then
will forward it as mentioned above. My mailing address is:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, Ohio 45784

For those of you wishing to send a card or letter to Trish, here is
the mailing address:

Daniel (Dan) R. Lloyd
3249 Timber Lane
Hermitage, Pa 16148

As far as a Missing Man ceremony for Dan. I won't know till I talk to
Trish.

Dan had a LOT of friends in the RV community. Please feel free to
share what we're doing with any of the various groups such as Doug
Reeves site and the Matronics RV10 list.

I realize that this doesn't cover all the bases but I think it's a
good starting point.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

Rick at the Buffalo Farm

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan Lloyd

Wow,
About half way through this thread it hit me. My RV7 project was begun by Dan. I bought it from another gentleman, but exchanged a few emails with Dan regarding the construction that he performed.

My condolences to his family.

Bryan

Last edited:
Dan Lloyd Arrangements

cc'd from our Ohio Valley RVators site:

I spoke with Trish again last night, her words...."I'm taking it one hour at a time." She asked me to extend her warmest thanks and appreciation for all the Prayers.

Here are the details as I know them:

1 - Obituary will come out in today's Sharon Herald but will NOT be available on line until tomorrow (Tuesday 6 Nov). I'll post it as soon as I have it.

2 - There will be a Visitation on Wednesday (7 Nov) from 5pm-7pm followed by a 7pm Service held at:

McGonigle J. Bradley Funeral Home
1090 E. State Street
Sharon, Pa. 16146

There will be no Funeral.

3 - After speaking with the florist(s) we decided against a tree (for now). The thought being that a)there wouldn't be any leaves on the tree and b)an evergreen of some sort would be very heavy and would more then likely create a lot of work for Trish. So, we went with a VERY NICE 'Permanent Seasonal Arrangement' that Trish can take home. Again, I understand that this arrangement will be extremely nice and very well received.

4 - Trish has set up a 'Daniel Lloyd Memorial Scholarship Fund' for their children Cameron and Becca. I've received many calls and emails from folks that want to donate. If you wish to donate feel free to send a check. Nothing is too small or too large. I'll put the money together and will hand deliver it to Trish in a few weeks. Perhaps some of you could accompany me when I do this?

Send to:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, Ohio 45784

I've already received some donations....On behalf of Trish and the kids....'Thank You'.

5 - Dan wore his Ohio Valley RVators hat just about everywhere he went. I got a new hat for him (Thanks Glen 'Dogg' Miller) and will bring it the Gag Awards/Birthday Party UFO this coming weekend at PHD. I'd like to get as many folks as I can to sign the hat for Dan. I'll give it to Trish along with the donations to the Scholarship Fund. I'll try to do the same with one of the pictures.

6 - Thank You for all the pictures. I've received a bunch of really nice ones! I've done a little editing and have sent them to Trish. She'll select the ones she wants and will display them at the 'Visitation' on Wednesday.

7 - Cards and Letters can be sent to Trish at:

Daniel (Dan) R. Lloyd
3249 Timber Lane
Hermitage, Pa 16148

8 - I talked with Rod Paul from the Greenville airport again today. We have their full support and will make arrangements with them and Trish for the Fly-In in Dan's Memory in 2008 . We WILL do a Missing Man Formation in Dan's Honor at that time. My thoughts are that we could also present Trish with the tree at that time as well. Perhaps we could even plant it for her the same weekend.

9 - Also, I'm putting all the (appropriate) posts from our Ohio Valley RVators yahoo site and Doug Reeves VAF site together in a document and will print it out for Trish. There are way too many nice comments and posts to let it slip by. I'm sure her and the kids will appreciate having this for years to come.

I plan on driving up to see Trish at the Visitation on Wednesday. I'll be leaving around 1pm and traveling up Rt77. If anyone wants to join me I can pick you up on the way by.

Thanks for all your support.

Rick at the Buffalo Farm

RIP DAN

i never met dan. i wish i had.

based on the way you (his friends) describe him he was a loving, caring husband/father and a good friend.

Remember, our passion is building and flying experimental aircraft. when dealing with mechanical devices especially hand crafted aircraft we assume a certain amount of risk.

Never loose sight of your dreams and live each day to the fullest, it may be your last. Unfortunately for Dan it was his time. i find comfort in knowing that he loved what he was doing.

I pray for Dan's family, friends and my fellow fliers.

blessings,

Hadley

Dan Lloyd's Obituary

http://www.sharon-herald.com/fullobits/local_story_309141206.html

Published November 05, 2007 02:12 pm - A memorial service will be Wednesday (11-7-07) for Daniel R. Lloyd II, 3249 Timber Lane, Hermitage. He passed away at 8:30 a.m. Friday (11-02-07) in Greene Township, Mercer County, of injuries sustained in an airplane crash. He was 37.

Daniel R. Lloyd II
Pilot was Werner director of information technology

A memorial service will be Wednesday (11-7-07) for Daniel R. Lloyd II, 3249 Timber Lane, Hermitage. He passed away at 8:30 a.m. Friday (11-02-07) in Greene Township, Mercer County, of injuries sustained in an airplane crash. He was 37.

Dan was born Monday, Aug. 28, 1970, in Rota, Spain, the son of Daniel R. Lloyd and Rita Lynn Bishop.

He graduated from Rampart High School in Colorado Springs, Colo., and later earned his bachelor?s and master?s degrees in computer science from the University of Phoenix.

He was the director of the IT (information technology) department at Werner Co., Sugar Grove Township. He constantly searched for more information and enjoyed reading, usually more than one book at any given time.

A pilot, he had spent over three years building his own RV-10 aircraft, an all-aluminum, low-wing monoplane of Monocoque construction. He was a member of the Ohio Valley RVators Club composed of other RV aircraft enthusiasts. He was a veteran of the Navy, having served for eight years and receiving an honorable discharge.

Daniel was a loving husband and father and friend who cherished his family and time spent with them. He will be sadly missed by all those he touched.
His wife, the former Tricia S. Mangold, whom he married Feb. 21, 1989, survives at the residence.

He also leaves his daughter, Rebecca E. Lloyd, 13; and his son, Cameron R. Lloyd, 8, both at home; his father, Daniel R. Lloyd, Sarasota, Fla.; his father- and mother-in-law, Dennis C. and Carol A. Mangold, Orlando, Fla.; and his two close friends, Bobby and Julia Garrett, Dighton, Mass.
His mother preceded him in death.

The family suggests that in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Daniel Lloyd Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o Shenango Valley Foundation, 33 Chestnut St., Sharon 16146, designated for his children?s education.

LLOYD Daniel R. II, 37, of 3249 Timber Lane, Hermitage.
Calling hours: 5 p.m. to time of service Wednesday (11-7-07) in J. BRADLEY McGONIGLE FUNERAL HOME and CREMATORY Inc., 1090 E. State St., Sharon. Friends may e-mail condolences to McGonigle [email protected]

Service: Memorial service at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the funeral home chapel with the Rev. Lawrence Haynes, pastor of Grace Chapel Community Church, Sharon, officiating.

Cremation: Cremation services by J. Bradley McGonigle Funeral Home and Crematory Inc.

Dans Meml fund

Hey gang!
Lets all show our support and send a little somethig to Rick Gray for the fund.
Al Grajek

Visitation Tonight

Just a reminder that the Visitation for Dan is from 5pm-7pm tonight. Expecting a bunch of folks from our Ohio Valley RVators to be there. Dick Sipp (RV4/10) is even driving down from Michigan and Mike (Kahuna) Stewart from Team RV is flying up from Georgia....now that's support :).

Checks are starting to come in.....on behalf of Dan's kids Becca and Cameron....THANKS to all of you!

Also a big thank you to Doug for his headline on the VAF front page news (and for his donation to the Dan Lloyd Scholarship fund).

Last edited:
Dan's Visitation

Hi Gang,
Just wanted to report back to you on the 'Visitation and Service'
for Dan last night.

Whenever we travel we always 'check in' on the radio once airborne
giving position reports and eta. This time we were all checking in
via cell phone and mile marker as we in our cars....hmmmm. All 'cept
Mike Stewart that is since he flew up from Georgia. Of course he did
put his cell into action once picked up at Youngstown airport by
Glen and Mike. Most of us met at a little Italian restaurant
called 'Cickerinos' (somethink like that) in Hermitage, Pa. Dick Sipp
(RV10) got in town 1st (drove down from Michigan) so he picked it
out on a drive by.....it worked out real well. Was a little
different seeing all the guys with their ties and sport coats on
instead of company colors, a tee shirt, or a hoodie. After a quick
meal we headed over to the Funeral Home. Nice turnout. Got to
(finally) meet Dan's best (Navy) friend Bobby. Bobby had just flown
with Dan in his RV10 from the Daytona, Fl. area (Jan Eggenfellner's)
to his home in Boston about a week ago. He said everywhere they
stopped that Dan kept saying how cool it was that they were flying
up the coast in the RV10 that he had built in his garage!! Imagine
that!!

The Funeral Home had a nice slideshow with music that was playing
quietly in the background . Lots of pictures of Dan in various
stages of his life, including many shots of him and his RV10 that we
had forwarded the other day (thanks to all for the pics).

We filled up 2 rows on the far side of the parlor. Those in
attendance were:

- Rick Gray
- Mike Stewart
- John Furey
- Bill Flaherty
- Gary Jasper
- Glen Miller
- Mike Allardyce
- Ty Pegues
- Dick Sipp
- Rob Logan

The permenant arrangement we sent looked real nice. I'll also
mention that as I walked around looking at all the flowers I noticed
an arrangement that had a card that read 'from Doug and Susie Reeves
@ Vansairforce.net'. Thanks Doug....very well received.

Seeing the look on Dan's (9 year old) son Cameron's face last night
was a sobering reminder of the gift of giving. Thanks again to all
of you that have donated (or will in the future) to the Dan Lloyd
Scholarship Fund for his children Becca and Cameron.

I'll wait a couple weeks then will give the money to Trish for the
fund. Again, if you wish to donate you can mail a check to:

Rick Gray
200 Baker Trail
Vincent, Ohio 45784

Of course, I'll provide Trish a list of names for the contributions.

We have 10 signatures on the Ohio Valley RVators hat so far. I'll
have it with me at the Birthday Party UFO this Saturday. I'll give
the hat to Trish along with the donations. Sure hope some of you
will join me.

I spoke with Trish a few times last night. Under the circumstances
she seemed to be holding up well. She (again) wanted me to thank the
entire group for all the prayers. Dan loved his RV10 and all
his 'RV' friends. His enthusiasm, knowledge, and friendship will
surely be missed.

See ya' soon Danno'!

Rick at the Buffalo Farm - BTW - Mike 'Kahuna' Stewart checked in
from his RV 'Super 8' night flight back to Lawrenceville, Ga around
11:30pm. He almost beat me home!! Dick 'Froggy' Sipp moteled it and is driving 5+hrs back to Michigan this morning.

Last edited:
Wow. I did not know Dan, but my condolences to his family... does anyone know what happened? What the cause of the crash was?

does anyone know what happened? What the cause of the crash was?

So far, the forum members have done (in my opinion) a remarkably admirable job of not speculating, out of respect for one whom a lot of people knew. I hope we can continue that. Sooner or later, we will hear some facts, and then can discuss that on another thread...I hope...

Paul

Dan Lloyd Scholarship Fund

Just wanted to let you know that I forwarded all the donations for the Scholarship Fund yesterday. This was a mix of checks that were made out to me (which I endorsed on the back), checks that were made out to Trish or to the fund, and cash (deposited in my account and a personal check made out for the cash total).

Dan's wife (Trish) will get confirmation from the Foundation that a donation was made from 'The Ohio Valley RVators'.

Future donations for Dan's Scholarship Fund can be sent to:

Daniel Lloyd Memorial Scholarship Fund
c/o Shenango Valley Foundation
33 Chestnut St.
Sharon, PA 16146

I talked to Trish again yesterday and she is 'hanging in there'. She asked me to thank all of you for your prayers and for the generous donations which will benefit the kids.

Last edited:
Back