What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Metal Wingtips, fairings, etc...

dicel87

Well Known Member
I recall seeing a web page some time ago that highlighted a builder who was making his 6A wingtips, emp fairing, NACA vents, etc... out of aluminum. Basically appeared that his RV would be fiberglass free!

If I recall, the gentleman came from a metal working background and had created some incredible pieces. Anybody know anything about how this may have turned out?

Thanks
Scott
(still dreaming)

Subscribed, just to find out more. I've also wondered about whether or not anyone had pounded out aluminum tips.

Holy Cow!

I'm speechless. What a true craftsman. They don't make 'em like that anymore. Unbelievable. I hope he leaves it all unpainted for everyone to see his work.

Metal tips

Ben

That's exactly the site I remember! Wonder if he ever made the aluminum cowl. :eek:

I bet a completed RV like that sure would be pretty.

Scott

Lost art

WOW! Craftsmen like that are a rare find today. I saw a RV-9 under construction in Griffin GA that had a metal faring made for the windshield. the builder had some oldtimer build it for him. As the story went it, the first one wasn't perfect so he made another. The compound cuves alone had me impressed. That emp fairing and wheel pants are striking!

I'd love to take some classes on how to work metal like that.

I looked into having some fairings made for my RV-7 a couple years ago. We have an auto shop in town that works on a lot of classic Jags, Shelby's, and the like, so they're pretty good with metal. One of their craftsman quoted me $2500 to make an empennage fairing with a 6+ month lead time (he was only going to work on it in his spare time). I was also told they had a guy in the UK who could do it, but he'd be 'significantly more expensive.'

This thread has me itchin' to go buy some mallets and an English wheel...

Paul

Metal shaping is by no means a lost art. Lots of pros offering instruction, selling tools and materials, etc. Heck, the VAF of the metalshaping world, The Metalshapers Association, has over 5000 registered members:

http://www.allshops.org/

Also visit Kent White's site:

http://www.tinmantech.com/

Metal shaping is fun and (prepare for shocking disclosure) less work than fiberglass. You will spend some money for major tooling if you want to do big projects, but small ones are not real pricy. For my first project I probably spent $700 total on instructional materials, tools, and materials to build the radiator shell and cowl panels you see below, and that included a class with John Neal so I could use his planishing machine <g>

Last edited:
The front canopy fairing of our -6 (the one around the base of the windscreen) is metal... and it was a major pain to bend. I think if we were to do it again, we'd just do fiberglass. Would have saved a lot of frustration.

Gorgeous!

Dan that work is simply stunning!! WOW. Do you know Kent personally because I'm considering going to his school this winter? Which school would you recommend, if you think ther's a better one?

Regards,

Pierre, the closest I've been to Kent was a S&F forum and then buying some tools. Fun instructor. There are other guys as good, but few support airplane projects like Kent. I'd stick with him.

John Neal (Georgia Metal Shapers) did a few advanced metal forming classes for Sportair some years back, at his shop on the Griffin airport. I recently heard that John was no longer with us. Anybody here from south Atlanta who can confirm or deny?

Ya'll want to see some custom metalwork? Go to my friend Darin Bishop's site at:

http://www.2wings.com/

click "airplanes" and select "N133GT", custom car builder Jimmy Killroy's Model 12 Pitts.

John Neal (Georgia Metal Shapers) did a few advanced metal forming classes for Sportair some years back, at his shop on the Griffin airport. I recently heard that John was no longer with us. Anybody here from south Atlanta who can confirm or deny?

If John Neal is the guy I'm thinking of (and I'm pretty sure there was only one REALLY GOOD metal guy at Griffin), he is no longer with us. Very sad story actually.

Back