What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Flight to the Bahamas

bsacks05

Well Known Member
My daughter and I just returned from a 3 day trip to Treasure Cay on Abaco Island, Bahamas.
I will post a couple pix and a story soon. All I can say right now as I am basking in the afterglow is, what an amazing thing it is - the RV. I'm gonna get many years of incredible experiences which easily justify the money spent building her.
This is the real "volksplane".

Last edited:
Awesome !!

Awesome Bruce!!
I am looking forward to the trip write up, my wife and I are thinking of doing that trip this winter.
Glad you had a great time!! :D

Let's go!
bahamas07001ts1.jpg

Early morning and clouds are building as we enter FLA
bahamas07002rb2.jpg

On the ramp at Ft. Pierce
bahamas07003xu9.jpg

Are we there yet?
bahamas07004ni2.jpg

Descent to Treasure Cay
bahamas07005uy3.jpg

One of the Top 10 Beaches in the World - National Geographic
bahamas07006va9.jpg

The Bear Goes Everywhere!
bahamas07007pb0.jpg

Here are some observations about the trip:

Summer is a kinda hot time to go. Perhaps early Spring or Fall after hurricane season would be better.

Bring a prepaid phone card

Ask for a pilot's discount. We saved 20% on our room.

Treasure Cay is laid back and family friendly.

Build a -10 to take the whole family next time.

Customs at Ft. Pierce were RV friendly. Probably due to Rosie and other RVers who have gone before.

No "auto-rough" experienced going over the Atlantic.

Center controllers along the way were very helpful and professional.

Summer clouds in FLA are no joke. We stayed above the light puffies and steered around the gigantos. Seriously thinking about getting XM weather.

The RV is amazing! We cruised at 2300rpm, 140kts GPS g/s, f/p 160hp, 7 gph. Tailwinds gave us up to 160 kts.

VAF is a great source for island flying info. Thanks Rosie!

The trip was easy and I'll definately do it again!

Last edited:
No anomalies, black holes, ghost squadrons, radio static, or strange lights were noticed. I did, however, wait until we were home to tell my daughter we flew through the Bermuda Triangle!

Sweeet! nice shots...! looks like the beach was really crowded though.. :)

Glad you had a great time.... !

Andy

Chicken

Good job - especially on the Devil's Triangle thought... sounds like fun, but I'm wondering how to get there without touching down in FL.
Let us know when you get a letter from the FL use tax nazis.
:D

I did, however, wait until we were home to tell my daughter we flew through the Bermuda Triangle!

Back