What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Partially Built Kit

jrock836

Well Known Member
Hello All!

First post, but have been lurking for months. If I were going to buy an unfinished kit that already has the empanage and wings built, how big of a learning curve would I have jumping into building the fuselage? No experience with building airplanes, but I have built a Factory Five Racing replica Shelby Cobra, so I have lots of experience with pulling rivets, drilling and cutting aluminum sheet metal. No experience with deburring, flueting, dimpling. From what I have read, it seems newbies use the empanage and wings to learn the skills needed for later on in the kit. Will I be hating life if I jump into a partially built kit?

What aspects of build quality should I look closely at when I look at the wings and emp. that have been built by someone else?

Thanks, Joe

Hello Joe and Welcome!
Sounds like you have the skills and experience for a good running start. The specific operations you mentioned are not difficult at all, but the recommendation to attend one of the EAA or builder classes is a good idea. Also get involved with an EAA Chapter and connect with someone who is building or has built an RV, especially a -12 since they are a little different than the others. Most important, have an experienced builder or Tech Counselor look at the partially completed kit that you’re considering to assess quality and workmanship to date.
Best of Luck!

Dave’s suggests are perfect

Sounds like you are good with hand tools, power tools, and a good basis of construction processes. If you could have an experienced person liked already mentioned look over work already done you can make a better assessment about the kit so far.

Some classes in person or virtual would also help. I too purchased an RV12 that had been started but my story is a little different from yours. Please feel free to contact me directly to talk further.

Oh Gee===you are a short ride to FT Worth/Dallas--- MANY builders and lot of help at Hicks and 52F. Seek them out. All great guys! Same for Grandbury-
Tom

Back