What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone get the undrilled new gear yet?

dreed

Well Known Member
I spoke with Vans last week about something else and they said they're starting to arrive. I was supposedly #1 or 2 on the list, but still haven't got the call yet.

Getting antsy- just wondering if anyone else has received the new style mount (undrilled) and gear yet.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:
I got a call last week that my drilled mount would be ready to ship in a few days. Not sure if they will hold to that but it seems more real than my previous contact with Van?s.

Thanks Ray! It seems like far more of the drilled mounts are arriving which is great. Those of us doing the retrofit are getting anxious :)

Can't wait to see them in the flesh.

New nose gear

Got the call last week but haven't heard anything since and it hasn't hit my credit card.

Yep I also got a call last week on my undrilled version. She said it would ship in 1 to 2 days. Hasn't hit my card yet either.

Order vs lead time

Undrilled Larry? Do you recall when you ordered?

Basically the day it was officially released. Probably two months ago. I don't think drilled vs undrilled matters. I asked and was told they are all undrilled. Vans drills as needed for kits. It's just a long backlog.

Haven?t received ours yet. I called Vans on 7 Oct to clarify an order. I asked how the mounts were coming along. The rep said Vans has plenty of mount parts. Just welding in-house and welders are very busy.

Good news! Got a call my undrilled mount is ready for pickup. I have to drive right be there Thursday, but I may need to find some time tomorrow to make the trip.

I'll post pics once I get it and try to keep positing when installing.

Dan

Drilled toe-in???

My RV4 mount / gear was predrilled. Does anyone know the toe-in Van applies to predrilled assemblies ?

Have it in my hot little hands (OK, back of my car really). I'll post some pics tomorrow if anyone cares to see them

I received my new engine mount and nose gear. What a relief to get it in my hands. Thanks Van?s for the fast shipping

Pics would be appreciated...

Have it in my hot little hands (OK, back of my car really). I'll post some pics tomorrow if anyone cares to see them

Hi Dan,

Would appreciate seeing some pics if it's not too much trouble. Others might too. I'm at a point where I could still switch to the new mount, but need to make the decision pretty soon.

Lars

Inventory

If anyone is interested, i keep an Excel "Basic Builder Log" on my blog. Address is in my signature below. Link is on the front page. The items from the new mount_gear packing list have been added to the inventory tab. Feel free to download it.

Hey All-

I picked up the new mount late last week. We were able to get the old mount off and the engine pulled on the first day. The new mount and engine are back on now.

The new mount wasn't exactly plug and play (fair amount of work really), but it's on and I am sure I'll be really happy I went with it in the long run. A couple poor cell phone pics

80-new_gear_3e8dbf50860bd1c59d63253194a6be956a9b5ddb.png
[/IMG]

80-new_mount_3_c45f21d1de8965c1252225c33473ce1c50706d83.jpg
[/IMG]

I got mine drilled to the firewall yesterday. This does take some time and care, but I think it turned out great. The holes in my mount were very close to the firewall positions, surprisingly close actually.

I drilled the holes in several incremental steps: first 3/16" and attached with AN3 bolts, then opening the holes up to 1/4" and then 5/16". To finish up the holes I used a combination of a letter U drill followed by a 0.375" reamer and the bolts have just the right fit. I'm glad I planned ahead with this scheme because it worked great. Once I got the sequence down the remaining holes went much quicker.

Back