What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Legend goes west... (Paul Poberezny)

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
Saw this, and other supporting comments, on the Members4Members FB page:

"Confirmed through a couple of channels...Paul H. Poberezny founder of the Experimental Aircraft Association has passed away at the age of 91."

RIP Paul, you made the world a far, far better place...

Added: From the EAA - Young Eagles FB Page:

EAA Founder Paul Poberezny passed away this morning (August 22) at Evergreen Retirement Village in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, after a battle with cancer. He was 91.

The Poberezny family has expressed the following: “We deeply appreciate all the support shown to Paul and Audrey over the past five months. As Paul often said, he considers himself a millionaire because through aviation he made a million friends. He leaves an unmatched legacy in aviation and can be best remembered by all the people who discovered aviation through his inspiration to create EAA. We also thank you for respecting our family’s privacy during this time.”

Only private family services are scheduled at this time. Memorials in honor of Paul’s life and legacy can be made to any of the following:

EAA Aviation Foundation: P.O. Box 3086, Oshkosh, WI 54903
Evergreen Foundation Inc.: 1130 North Westfield St., Oshkosh, WI 54902
American Cancer Society, Northeast Wisconsin: 790 Marvelle Lane, Green Bay, WI 54304

Last edited:
Wow! An end of an era.

I never met the man, but he seemed almost immortal, like he'd be with us forever. What a legacy he has left behind for all of us to enjoy!

GOD SPEED - Paul Poberezny!

I saw him on the grounds a couple of times at Oshkosh this year. Often wondered what he thought of the impact his organization has had on so many people.

RIP

I don't think I would have ever built my own airplane if it wasn't for the EAA in the early years. Thank you Paul.

The only time I ever met/spoke to him was when he almost ran over me in the Homebuilt area in Big Red 1. We laughed and chatted for about 30 seconds and he was off.

That's so sad

I only met the man once, and that was at a warbirds gathering during SnF. He was truly someone special and he leaves the world a much better and bigger place than he found it. That's quite a legacy.

Last edited:
Meeting Paul and Steve Wittman

I met them walking side by side and laughing together at the first Sun 'n Fun in Lakeland many years ago. I also got to attend DAR training in his old workshop and enjoy looking over his collection of photos on the walls.
He has been a mighty champion in our sport.

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/

Last edited:
I ran into him at my first Oshkosh, four years ago. He was outside the IAC tent looking over a highly modified Pitts. Just an enthusiast like me checking out a plane. I introduced myself, thanked him for his efforts and asked him to sign my logbook, which he graciously did.

RIP

Memories of Mr. Poberezny

First time I saw him was at the Tullahoma (Tn) EAA Fly-In in 1979. A beautiful P-51 had just landed and was taxiing to it's tiedown spot. I waved, and he waved with a smile. But I didn't know who he was until an hour or so later. I saw him many times over the years at Oshkosh, but I never had the opportunity to talk to him. I always thought he was too busy.

He was a rare man, with a vision that became reality through a lot of hard work. Thank you, Mr. Poberezny.

I saw him at OSH this year. He was riding in the VW, looked very frail and still managed a wave. I wasn't sure it was him at the time but now realize it was.
I wish I could have talked with him about the joys of plans building and the great fun I am having building a Hatz CB-1. I know he was a purist when it comes to homebuilt planes and his impact on us is immeasurable.

Paul

I have been going to Oshkosh off and on since the early 80's, back when Paul was large and in charge as they say! RIP Paul, you did good!

Red One, you are cleared for departure. Enjoy the new wings and know the folk at your departure point wish you a happy flight. RIP

My wife and I first met Paul on our honeymoon when we visited what was then the EAA Museum at Hales Corners, Wisconsin. A true visionary, we all have him to thank for the sport that we love.

RIP Paul.

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, FL

Paul Poberezny was special

From out here in the wilderness I used to send him my Christmas letter before I stopped them last year and he would always write me a personal letter back.

PPoberezny_zps5f8463a3.jpg

IMG_0001_zpsa11636c3.jpg

If you have not read this book - now would be a good time

IMG_0001_zpsd248c0e6.jpg

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I have been going to Oshkosh off and on since the early 80's, back when Paul was large and in charge as they say! RIP Paul, you did good!

I took my father to OSH in '86 and was introduced to Paul and Steve by some mutual friends. We chatted for a little bit and moved on.

Later that week Paul put on a flight demonstration in the P-51 that I have never seen duplicated!

RIP Paul! I will miss seeing you driving around in Big Red 1 at OSH every year.

(I hope they retire that VW.)

The King is dead,Long live the King!

Rest in peace Paul. For years he would drive through the camp ground stop and talk to anyone who wanted. The first year of the night air show he asked me how I liked it.I told him I had never seen anything like it,how gracefully the glider did its routine with fireworks spitting out its wing tips.I always thanked him for EAA and all his efforts,Glad I did.Paul is gone but his legacy remains.Its up to us now to carry on, keep experimental aviation alive and well.
R.Hill

I never met Paul, but spoke to him in passing several times as he drove by in his Bug at Airventure. He always waved, and said hello. Once he even hesitated and asked "Hows it going?" with that big smile of his, and I shook his hand. I really appreciated that very small, very nice courtesy as a volunteer and a fellow aviation enthusiast. It makes me sad that he's passed on, but I'll fondly remember his kindness and thoughtfulness, and that big smile and wave.

RIP Paul

Saw him at Oshkosh last year driving around in Red One looking at all the planes on exhibit. He really was just another fellow enjoying the sights like we were.

He will be missed.

That is sad news. The only time I saw him it was a glimpse when his red one passed by me during my visit to Oshkosh 2011

The good news is legends like him and Van inspired a guy very far somewhere in Saudi Arabia not only to build his airplane in his basement but to try to recreate an EAA-like initiative in his country

Back