What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Good panel experience

jbstok

I recently bought an RV-8 and want to update the panel. After deciding what I wanted to do, I found it would be better to cut a new panel than try to make the old one work. I got a quote from a local avionics shop and almost cancelled the upgrade. After talking to an A&P friend, we've decided to do it ourselves. The first step was to decide exactly what layout I wanted. The next step was to get a panel and get it cut. I found here on VAF reference to Bill at Up North Aviation and dropped him an email about my project. He has been a joy to deal with, from helping me acquire a panel blank to making good suggestions about the layout to doing a great job of cutting the panel and getting it to me many states away. If the rest of the project goes as well as dealing with Bill went, I got no problems (fat chance, huh?) I just wanted to share a good experience.

.......JB

+1 on Bill and Up North Aviation!! Great service with reasonable pricing. He's not happy until you are.....No affiliation other than being a very satisfied customer.

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, FL

I'm in the middle of a panel upgrade/ retrofit from a previously built RV-8 myself. When I inquired for a quote from a local avionics shop for cutting the panel, wiring and installing it was over $30k in mosly labor (since I had purchased most of the components myself). They primarliy do certified aircraft and were naysayers of dynon equipment in IMC etc. Anyway, I promptly took on the task myself and couldn't be happier. There's a reason shops like that are going out of business and other shops like Stein and Bill will be around for a while. Best of luck.

I have to agree with Zoomie. Stein and Up North have customer service that can only come from truly caring about their customers.
Customer service is alive and well in some parts of the world!
Kudos!!

Back