What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tall people in the back!

Juicegoose

Well Known Member
Guys my main flying partner, besides the ole lady is a fellow pilot he's 6'-5" and around 230, is that a big problem in the backseat of the -8
i'm only 5'-9" and 175 so i can scoot up of course but still will he be able to fit in the back with any comfort at all? Thanks

The front seat doesn't actually move, just the bottom of the seat back...so "scooting up" isn't really an option. The back seaters legs stradle the back of the front seat, so it wouldn't matter regardless. Head room may also be an issue, as the canopy is sloping downward at that point.

I think the 230 lbs might be more of an issue, especially as the fuel is burned off.

Anyone flying care to chime in? Mines still a collection of parts:eek:

Joe

I had my first and only ride in an -8. I am 6'3 195 so maybe not quite as big/tall, getting in was a bit tight for legs 36" inseam , not real bad though.. but I had no problem with headroom..

I fit just fine.

I'm 6'5" 270 pounds and I fit. My biggest problems were my feet. I had to take my size 13s off to get them into the footwells. Other than that, it was cozy but comfy.

K

I am 6' 4" and 240 and fit fine. Great Video platform and the headroom is
nice. You can also see most of the instruments if the guy in the front
will is short.:D

I think the 230 lbs might be more of an issue, especially as the fuel is burned off.

Anyone flying care to chime in? Mines still a collection of parts:eek:

Joe

I've flown with 260# in the back seat, and my empty C of G seems to be a little aft of some others.

It was manageable, but I wouldn't want any more back there :)

Back Seaters

Largest one so far in the back seat of my -8 was 6' 8" (He called it 5 feet 20 inches) and weighed just over 250lbs:D Still within CG limits.

Plane flew well but didn't need much aft trim on final!

So with the front seat not moving. I'm guessing that while in the build phase you adjust the seat to you and then tack it in permenatly or what. Sorry i haven't started building any yet.

Actually, the seat location is fixed, and it is the rudder pedals that you adjust. I *think* you could move the location of the seat back by drilling new holes and moving stuff around, but I would have to yank my floor pan out and look to be sure. However, by doing that you would change the ergonomics of the seat recline angle, as the seatback weldment location is definiately fixed.

I think for 95% (or more) of the builder population out there, the default seat location is fine.

My $0.02

6'5" and 275. Have flown in the back seat of three -8's and while I wouldn't want to go three hours back there, short flights and even some acro are OK.

Bob

Back