What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do RV builders spend Thanksgiving

Flying of course!

Actually helping my Grandson learn to fly the RC model he got for his birthday.

Get up, check messages on Van's Air Force.

Address Christmas cards.

Got to hangar and go for a short flight.

Drive to girlfriend's brother's place.

Go with family for walk on beach.

Watch sunset.

Back to house for Thanksgiving dinner.

Bah Humbug !!

I had to work Thanksgiving day. And if another thread comes up for Christmas, I'm working that day too. :mad: Jeff
p.s. and if the violins aren't playing yet, I'm also working New Years Eve and the morning of New Years day

Thanks for letting me paint!

Two years ago on Thanksgiving, the temperature was forecast to be the last day above 70 degrees for the season (you've got to hate California winters:rolleyes:) I very nicely asked my wife if we could delay dinner for a couple hours so I could get the second wing painted before the hangar paint shop closed for the season! Wonderful gal that she is, she gave the okay, and the second wing got paint on it! Talk about giving thanks!

Sebastian Trost
RV-7A (Flying)
Cameron Park (O61)

Painting firewall stiffeners and brackets, then off to NEW in-laws for a couple of days. Back to pounding rivets Sunday afternoon.:eek:

77 degrees in Washington, DC !!!

It was spent raking leaves and finishing all the fall yard work in shorts and a t-shirt....on Thanksgiving morning in 77 degree balmy weather... in Washington DC area....!!! By later that afternoon with a very full belly at very good friends' house.... CFP (cold front passage) winds whippin' to 45mph and a temperature drop into the 40s' by 5:00!! Any leaves I didn't get picked up now on neighbors yard...not to worry...his leaves now on his neighbors yard!!

An obvious change to warm clothes preceded a nice warm fire in the fire place to finish a grand day with the family... hard to top that!!!!!

I had to work Thanksgiving day. And if another thread comes up for Christmas, I'm working that day too. :mad: Jeff
p.s. and if the violins aren't playing yet, I'm also working New Years Eve and the morning of New Years day

Ditto! This is # 21 out of the last 23 years that I have had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is the last one though. I finally rotate out of this mess after this year!:D

Here ya go firefly...
violin.gif
to all those who had to work.. worked 3rd shift and had to report at midnite, so had to sleep at 2pm or so. mmm wasnt hard after all that food, but missed out on the rest of the day...football, etc.

was a normal - sort of day here.. see location.. do miss the traditional day activities, we did have a dinner here with all the expat families anyhow on Saturday.. nice..

Happy Thanksgiving to all...

Andy -

- still lurking/reading.... researching.... saving... lol

Been there... wasn't fun!

Ditto! This is # 21 out of the last 23 years that I have had to work Thanksgiving and Christmas. This is the last one though. I finally rotate out of this mess after this year!:D

All you guys that have to work during the Holidays... I feel your pain. :( See those two daughters in my original post's Picasa pic link? They graduate from university in December and May. :D I worked 23 years of shift work and missed a lot of family time when they were younger. :( At least it helped get them through schoool.

I feel your pain... as I've spent my share of holidays at the fire station. But seniority eventually comes into play... then you get to be the one "off-duty" that day. :D

A little Acro, a little realxing....and waiting for Louise to get here on Friday (she did - good flying weather all the way!).

So our Thanksgiving is today - turkey is in the oven, cool outdoors, warm inside!

I spend the day sleeping and reading the posts on DR's site. I had my throat cut Wednesday and I am using the long weekend to recover.

Wife had to be in Jail at 1400(real Jail)!

hunting and feasting with my dad

we went hunting in the morning and had the family feast at 2:00. he said it was his best thanksgiving in a looong time. mine as well.

Thanksgiving Day

Worked on the RV until 11:AM
Drove over to Carols Moms and had a nice meal with her folks and family. It was a nice day. The Cowboys won!

Spending Thanksgiving

All the family stuff of course but more importantly...

- Final drilling and rivetting the leading edges of the elevators for an RV-7a.

With all those extra friends and family members over, it would have been a shame to put all that free labor to waste. As many of you know, it isn't hard to get visiting guests to help you on your plane. It is such a novelty for most people, they seem to jump at the chance. At any rate, I got a lot done.

turkey

Got up... shower... checked the VAF via I-Phone... had turkey day lunch with family, drove 3 hrs and diagnosed, removed, replaced starter via alternator and other stuff and a bolt that had graciously been bent and corroded on an Archer for a customer with a business trip coming up...(Help and company graciously provided by a rv-7 builder in Enterprise AL. (thanks Cairey)Sat in rv-4 with slider and it was TIGHT!!! ooooph! ) drove home.... and fell asleep..smelling of mouse milk. Dreamed of rv-4 with tall man conversion and x-390 and sam james fairings all the way around with a fastback and 2 inch wider cabin and a pointy spinner. drool............

Best
Brian

Turkey (1 day), then decorating for Christmas (2.5 days), then editing flying video (0.5 days). Time to go back to work so I can relax!

Back