What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space shuttle orbit track

westwinds

This is not directly RV related, but i thought it would be interesting to most of us. I found this site to give the shuttle orbit tracks and watched it go overhead Saturday and tonite. I'll include the link i found. The interesting thing about tonites pass was that there was a second object trailing behind the shuttle at exact same track and speed. Do you suppose someone lost a big shiney tool? Tony

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

my guess it's an assembled tool named the international space station...

ISS Mon Aug 20/10:02 PM 1 38 23 above WNW 38 above WSW
SHUTTLE Mon Aug 20/10:02 PM 1 37 22 above WNW 37 above WSW

My sources tell me that the Shuttle is only 115.7 miles behind the ISS at this moment...at orbital velocities, that almost qualifies as being in formation (well, a Navy formation anyways....). So when you saw two objects, you got a "two-fer", and those are great to see!

Have not been able due to the weather to catch the formation flight. but
I caught them once together docked in orbit with the 20x binocs. was pretty cool as you could see the very small profile with the panels etc. Had to move quick to follow! Pretty Cool!

you can also try this link
http://www.heavens-above.com/

Andy

I was able to watch the Space Station and the Shuttle last night as they passed between Jupiter and the moon...really cool. Sure hope the Shuttle gets home without any problems...

Brian

Hey Paul -

Paul - do you know if the folks aboard the ISS use their ham radios much? If I got my radios here set up for space comms again (I haven't done that in over 20 years - last time I tried was through a Soviet RS satellite) would I be able to have a conversation with them as they go overhead? Or are they too busy for that?

--John

Last edited:
HAM

I must admit that I am really not sure how the folks on board ISS are using the HAM rig these days - there are some who really get into it, and use it in their spare time, and others who use it only when scheduled for school contacts and the like. HAM is one of the bobbies I have never had time to pick up, so I really haven't kept up with it. Here's a link that might get you started:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/reference/radio/

I spent last night on console watching over the bird for the crew's (hopefully) last sleep shift. Watching the Entry from hoe...shoudl have first deorbit burn opportunity in a little less than an hour. Weather is reasonable, but you =never know until the last minute!

Paul

Ironflight said:
My sources tell me that the Shuttle is only 115.7 miles behind the ISS at this moment...at orbital velocities, that almost qualifies as being in formation (well, a Navy formation anyways....). So when you saw two objects, you got a "two-fer", and those are great to see!

Me and my little guy watched the IST and Shuttle pass over in trail ... more like an Airforce C5 type formation FWIW :)

Really is amazing how it showed up on time and at the expected location. Great thing for the kids....

Dan in Dallas....

Amateur radio and spaceflight...

If they are above the horizon and if they are operating their radio all it should take to have a short converstation would be a 2 meter handheld and a handheld turnstile or small handheld helical antenna. The limiting factor has always been whether the astronauts have the time to be on and operating just as they happen to be overhead.

I used to make a few contacts back in the 80's using a two meter sideband radio and an old tube type Drake receiver on tem meters going through the RS-3,4,5,6 series of satellites. Haven't had the urge to try it for two decades now... antenna limitations, time limitations, etc...

When I lived up in the Northwest GA foothills I would watch the shuttle go overhead on a clear night. It was also very easy to see 'tumbling' satellites just about any time you looked.

Unfortunately since I've moved to the Atlanta 'burbs I can't see squat -- way too much light pollution. Sounds like an excuse for a flight up north one night when I get to Phase II. :cool:

Shuttle Re-entry

As I write this, the Orbiter Endeavour is over the Pacific, having completed its de-orbit burn, and is expected to land at KSC at 11:32 AM CDT. Godspeed, Endeavour!
Don

Endeavour Home

The Orbiter Endeavour just rolled to a stop at KSC. Congratulations on a successful mission!
Don

Back