What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where are the most RVs located?

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I still have a few years till I retire but am already starting to think I will retire somewhere outside California but where there are a lot of RVs and good flying weather.

I know Oregon, California, and Texas have large RV populations. Where are the largest group of flying and building of RVs taking place?

How do I go about finding out / researching this info?

At the present time, I have over 2,006 hobbs hours on the RV that I built. I am an EAA TC, FAA A&P, FAA DAR, and am involved in RV Formation flying. I do not have the time to be more involved with RVs than I am as I have a full time job. I have done Pre-buy inspections, Condition Inspections, and maintenance for other RV'ers but turn most of it away as there is not enough time with a full time job.

Looking forward to retirement in 2012, I desire to be able to help out others with their RVs. I am looking for a retirement area where there is a good friendly flying environment with lots of RV people.

There might be a smart way to search the FAA database Gary.....but "smart" and "FAA" rarely go well together in the same sentence, so maybe that won't work...;)

But it could give you a state by state count if it worked!

Paul

Gary,

I don't know where the "most" RV's are, but there are about 50 at Independence Airpark, 15 miles west of Salem, Oregon.

Because of proximity to Van's, there is probably the highest density of RV's in Oregon, although there might be a larger total number of RV's in more populous states.

California would be hard to beat for many things

Garry I assume you have lived in California for a long time and are looking for something new. California would be hard to beat for many reasons but when you start counting the LA experience in decades there is a feeling of sameness and desire to go for something new that is not isolated over in the corner of the country. I have been charmed by California for many years but when it came time to retire I thought there was a better choice. For me it turned out to be Fayetteville, Arkansas. There are quite a few RVs here but the beauty, solitude and the freedom to fly in any direction to an interesting destination that did not require flying over the same desolate land except when going up the coast are what appealed to me. Oregon is certainly a beautiful place west of Mt. Hood and there are a lot of RVs but it again is at the edge of the country. Texas seems to be a real hot bed of RV activity, the Dallas area at least is fairly centralized and the people are friendly - three good points - and I hear there is some tax advantage associated with living there. Spruce Creek down by Datona might appeal to you - I hear they live and breath airplanes there - of course it is stuck way off in the opposite side of the country. What about Oshkosh? You should fit into the EAA family but then I don't know the truth of the situation there - weather is very cold in the winter - I hear it even gets below freezing on occassion. Ah yes the fun of planning retirement - that is almost as much fun as the retirement itself - enjoy the research.

By the way, the LASAR mag you sold me is working great. We flew out to Paso Robles a couple of weeks ago and it was comforting to not have the engine begin to stagger and die when I did the right mag check.

Thanks,

Bob Axsom

jumped the gun... lol

IF I would have searched FIRST!

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=3909&highlight=frappr

already been done..!

parashak said:
A recent thread highlighted the desire to connect. I remembered something in the forums that had a map connection. Kind of a visual representation of the RVWP.

In frappr, I've found the following RV related maps:

I recommend putting your pushpin on the RV map, as we all respect each model and the pilots/builders of them. This could be as useful as the RVWP.

I love TX, Dallas or North TX in particular. Centrally located in the country, with very friendly people. Yeah it gets hot in the summer but you get used to it. Think of it as a free sauna. You can live either in the city or in the country, it's not overpopulated like LA. Texas is a big state and driving distances can be large, that's why it pays to have a plane in TX. I'm going back some day...
I hope that day comes soon.

Without actually counting, an official scroll through shows something like California, Texas then Florida, in that order. Funny what good weather attracts.

Anyhoo, one thing about California, the cost of living is so high, housing, fuel ect, you can go almost anywhere else and live like a king in comparison. However, once you sell your home you will never be able to afford to return. I have had several friends get sick of California, sell and move to greener pastures only to realize they had made a mistake and now they cannot come back. That $300,000 1450 sq ft home you sold for $950,000 is now $1.5 million (seriously! :eek: ) its rediculous!!

So, make your decision carefully. I know I will when it comes time for me to move out of here.

Mike in Cali

Search the obvious places

Where are most RVs located?

In basements and garages around the globe! Can't miss 'em...just follow the sound of air compressors, drills, and rivet guns. And foul language. :)

Here's a Map

Here's a good view based on the US entries in the White Pages, so this only accounts for about 20% but I'd think the distribution would extapolate somewhat evenly. It's a large picture so here's the link.

http://adap.com/rv7/img6.jpg

And one more showing density by county. Darker means more RVs. White = 1 RV.

http://adap.com/rv7/imgA1.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Back