VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM
C-J C-J is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 83
Default Lycoming IO 360 M1B

I'm on the final throws of the engine plumbing ans wiring on my RV7 and I have two items left that still puzzle me.

1) In the middle top of the engine there is the injector feed distributor with the 4 small fuel line going to each cylinder and one small AN fitting that is marked gage. How is this used? I have a fuel flow and pressure already installed. What does this one give me pressure to the injectors?

2) There is a vent on the engine driven pump, how is this used/plumed?

Help is appreciated, I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be a train! ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
mlwynn mlwynn is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 410
Default Fuel Overflow

I don't know for sure about the fitting on the top, but the one on your engine driven pump is for overflow if the pump diaphragm fails (as it has been explained to me). Most people put a npt to tubing fitting and then run a tube down the front of the firewall and vent it just behind the cowling. Usually, nothing will come out of that tube. The tubing run is on the firewall drawings.

Maybe a picture of the fitting on the top of the engine would help a more knowledgeable person identify it for you.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2009, 05:27 PM
allbee allbee is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: spokane, wa
Posts: 809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-J View Post
I'm on the final throws of the engine plumbing ans wiring on my RV7 and I have two items left that still puzzle me.

1) In the middle top of the engine there is the injector feed distributor with the 4 small fuel line going to each cylinder and one small AN fitting that is marked gage. How is this used? I have a fuel flow and pressure already installed. What does this one give me pressure to the injectors?

2) There is a vent on the engine driven pump, how is this used/plumed?

Help is appreciated, I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be a train! ;-)
The fitting marked gauge is for diagnostic testing. All other fittings are for going to the various cylinders. In fact if you want to change things around you can put any fitting to any cylinder. Just don't use the one marked gauge for the cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 PM
C-J C-J is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 83
Default Mysteries

Thanks Mike, I looked everywhere on Vans dwgs and in the Lycoming manual with no joy. There is a part in the FF kit that is a small 90degree pipe fitting with a tube welded to it, I bet that is the fitting? what do you think?


Quote:
Originally Posted by mlwynn View Post
I don't know for sure about the fitting on the top, but the one on your engine driven pump is for overflow if the pump diaphragm fails (as it has been explained to me). Most people put a npt to tubing fitting and then run a tube down the front of the firewall and vent it just behind the cowling. Usually, nothing will come out of that tube. The tubing run is on the firewall drawings.

Maybe a picture of the fitting on the top of the engine would help a more knowledgeable person identify it for you.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM
C-J C-J is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 83
Default

Steve, there is no cap on the fitting, doesn't it require something? Currently, Lycoming put a red plastic cap on it, I'm sure it can't stay like that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by allbee View Post
The fitting marked gauge is for diagnostic testing. All other fittings are for going to the various cylinders. In fact if you want to change things around you can put any fitting to any cylinder. Just don't use the one marked gauge for the cylinders.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Chappyd Chappyd is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 321
Default

I have the IO-360 M1B, and asked this same question. check out this thread, and see if it applyies


http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=40949
__________________
Dave Chapdelaine
N821RV
RV-7
Flying as of 7/2/11
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM
C-J C-J is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aiken SC
Posts: 83
Default IO 360

Thanks Dave, I was hoping I didn't need to run another set of tubes. It all make perfect sense to me now. Best CJ


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappyd View Post
I have the IO-360 M1B, and asked this same question. check out this thread, and see if it applyies


http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=40949
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.