What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RVs in Uniform

Hal Bryan

Hi everyone - My name is Hal Bryan, and I'm EAA's managing editor here in Oshkosh. Long time lurker, and all that, and someone who is lucky enough to fly our flying club's RV-6A from time to time.

Anyway, we're looking at a future story for Sport Aviation magazine, and need some help. As you can guess by the subject line, we're looking for RVs painted in military schemes. In this case, though, our focus will be on those airplanes that replicate the paint scheme of a particular airplane, and/or that specifically honor a pilot or squadron - as opposed to schemes with general military overtones.

We have a file started, but we'd love to find more. If your airplane fits the bill, or you know one that does, would you send us a note at editorial at eaa.org?

Thanks in advance!

Hal

Hal,
How about RVs in REAL uniform? Vans sold the Nigerian Air Force 60 RV-6A kits which were (are still?) used as primary trainers. Do a search on "Nigerian Air Force RV-6A" or have a look in the middle of this Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van's_Aircraft_RV-6

There are also pix of these planes on the internet. White with red fuselage bottom and wingtips and black anti glare panels. NAF markings and insignia on the fuselage and tail.

Tony - I've heard about those, but hadn't thought about them in this case. That could make an interesting sidebar. Thanks for the reminder!

Reach out to Flyboykelly. His radial 8 may not be a perfect match fro your criteria but he mentioned getting paint matched from an old warbird under restoration, other authentic looking mods, etc.

Yep, we did a story on him about six years ago or so. I saw that he's recently swapped engines too, may be time to check in again. Thanks for the tip!

Old Crow

Lyle Hefel built an RV-8 copied after the P-51 "Old Crow" flown by Bud Anderson with amazing detail, right up to the hand crank canopy, exhaust stacks etc. It is now owned by SteinAir Inc. I believe it won a Lindy Award at AirVenture. It would be an excellent example.

RV-8a in modern 74th FS Flying Tigers Scheme

Oh you mean something like this? This is my RV-8a painted up in the current A-10 74th FS based at Moody AFB in GA. Not because I flew the A-10 but I just think it looks cool. Also, stories of the Flying Tigers were a great influence on me when I was a kid. Sharks mouth still needs to be added but that will be after first flight in May. AW inspection is this Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_7494.jpg
    IMG_7494.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 413
Oh you mean something like this? This is my RV-8a painted up in the current A-10 74th FS based at Moody AFB in GA. Not because I flew the A-10 but I just think it looks cool. Also, stories of the Flying Tigers were a great influence on me when I was a kid. Sharks mouth still needs to be added but that will be after first flight in May. AW inspection is this Friday.

That's sharp David! Would you mind sending a note to editorial (at) EAA.org so that we can have your contact info?

F4U Corsair

Here’s mine, made to match the Corsair at the Udvar Hazy Smithsonian.

Attachments

• FE55B664-7145-4111-828C-BAD56002DFA9.jpeg
    FE55B664-7145-4111-828C-BAD56002DFA9.jpeg
    920.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 75B98E1D-C5E8-4A80-9F81-8EBABC09A5C5.jpeg
    75B98E1D-C5E8-4A80-9F81-8EBABC09A5C5.jpeg
    883.7 KB · Views: 167
Look up N413BX, a RV4. It is painted like my Father's P47N, based on Ie Shima in 1945. It is the 21st fighter squadron, 413th fighter group.
Sold it in 2016, I fine man has really taken great care of it and upgraded it as well! After you see the many images on the web, go to 413thfightergroup.com

Last edited:
Obviously not an RV, but my RV-7 will be painted in the same way: in honor of VF-84 Jolly Rogers Tomcat's from the USS Nimitz.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    592.4 KB · Views: 165

You've gotta paint the air intake black so it looks like the Hog's GAU-8A 30mm cannon with the rest of the shark's mouth around it so it looks like an angry beast chomping on a cigar! LOL

Hi,

Mine is a tribute to the 487th Fighter Squadron. They were the most successful of the 3 squadrons of the 352nd Fighter Group, aka "The Blue Nosed Bast**ds of Bodney". I've got the proper HO squadron codes but instead of a tribute to a particular plane I personalized it by doing the squadron custom of using the first letter of my last name "C" on the tail as an individual aircraft code. I also put an "N" number on it that would correspond to a P-51D-10 as they would have flown in the Autumn of 1944, which is the markings "era" I'm depicting.

Attachments

• A5C4EB1D-1FF4-4061-BEAA-64F003191F77_1_201_a.jpeg
    A5C4EB1D-1FF4-4061-BEAA-64F003191F77_1_201_a.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 188
Military trainer

Ken - I think I missed your post yesterday. Beautiful airplane! Would you mind sending a note to editorial at eaa.org so we can get your contact info and put you on the list?

Thanks!

Hal

Last edited:
Hi,

Mine is a tribute to the 487th Fighter Squadron. They were the most successful of the 3 squadrons of the 352nd Fighter Group, aka "The Blue Nosed Bast**ds of Bodney". I've got the proper HO squadron codes but instead of a tribute to a particular plane I personalized it by doing the squadron custom of using the first letter of my last name "C" on the tail as an individual aircraft code. I also put an "N" number on it that would correspond to a P-51D-10 as they would have flown in the Autumn of 1944, which is the markings "era" I'm depicting.

Steve -

Very nice! The N-number is a really nice touch as well. Can I ask you to send a note to editorial at eaa.org so we can get your contact info and put you on the list?

Thanks!

Hal

308th Fighter Squadron originally equipped with Spitfires and based in North Africa, then equipped with P-51's based in Italy. The builder of this -4 was inspired by a P-51 from the squadron called "The Flying Dutchman" This RV-4 has now been named "Crazy Train". There is a flying P-51 in this livery called "Mad Max".

Attachments

• IMG_6546.jpg
    IMG_6546.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 129
308th Fighter Squadron originally equipped with Spitfires and based in North Africa, then equipped with P-51's based in Italy. The builder of this -4 was inspired by a P-51 from the squadron called "The Flying Dutchman" This RV-4 has now been named "Crazy Train". There is a flying P-51 in this livery called "Mad Max".

Looks like I fell behind again! Great looking airplane - would you mind sending the photo and a note to editorial at eaa.org so we can have your contact info?

Thanks!

Look up N413BX, a RV4. It is painted like my Father's P47N, based on Ie Shima in 1945. It is the 21st fighter squadron, 413th fighter group.
Sold it in 2016, I fine man has really taken great care of it and upgraded it as well! After you see the many images on the web, go to 413thfightergroup.com

Smoke,

I know Devin and have flown some missing man formations with him in your old mount. The last being for a good friend that headed up our honor group. He is doing you and your fathers legacy well. He takes the time and explains the history of the paint scheme to any that inquires. He’s a good guy and a worthy caretaker of the 4.

I know he takes great care! The airplane still looks beautiful! It is hard to believe that it is S/N 22. I really hope that they use his aircraft!

Military-looking RVs

When you spent 6.5 years building and want to fly instead of paint.....:D I do have another scheme planned.....also Military-looking. Doing electronic stuff now......

Attachments

• img706ac4.jpg
    img706ac4.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 132
  • img669ac_1.jpg
    img669ac_1.jpg
    673.7 KB · Views: 106
RV's in uniform

Modeled in the 352nd Tactical Fighter Squadron colors.

Attachments

• RV8 SCENE.jpg
    RV8 SCENE.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 98
This is the paint scheme and numbers from my dad's RF-8G on board the USS Ticonderoga in 1969 Vietnam.
I wanted a little color, so the tail is from what the Squadron did for the Bicentennial.

Attachments

• 20210822_142527.jpg
    20210822_142527.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Back