What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ailerons

findane

I'm having a problem fitting nose skin over the aileron counterweight. It's too tight. It seems like the simple solution is to bend the nose rib tabs a little. Is it acceptable or is there a better way. Also, is there an easy way to bend the tabs without damage?

Ahyup

I had to bend the tabs in a little to get the skin to fit.

Also, I used a ratchet strap around the aileron, and under the bench to pull the skin in while I clecoed. The square steel tube held everything flat on the bench and protected the piece from the strap. Use this technique for the flaps too.

Fluting pliers

Gently with Fluting pliers, then pull into place so the you don't see the bumps from the corners of the tabs. Same with most all the ribs and bulkheads. hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

I had to bend the tabs in a little to get the skin to fit.

Also, I used a ratchet strap around the aileron, and under the bench to pull the skin in while I clecoed. The square steel tube held everything flat on the bench and protected the piece from the strap. Use this technique for the flaps too.

Those look like flaps

I also used ratchet straps to pull my skin into place. I used two and it seemed to work better. Be careful I put a small dent in mine by pulling too tight. Hope this helps.

Back