What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Able Baker or Alpha Bravo or Alice Brown

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Too much time on my hands I guess, I was wondering if there are any regulations that dictate the use of a particular phonetic alphabet in aircraft radio calls. Being ex military of course I had to use the first two for many years, but sometimes get mixed up, and sometimes hear pilots making up their own..

Now you must be joking me. When I went in back in 56, we used Able Baker, but not too long after, we went to the Alpha Bravo, and I think all services still use it today. I just dreamed up the Alice Brown as an example of making up your own.
My current registration is N461DG, the DG is for Don and Geneda, my and my wife's names. Am I wrong to use "461 Don Geneda"

You must have been army. Air Force has, since '69 any way, used the second two.

Am I wrong to use "461 Don Geneda"

AIM sect. 4-2-7 says, uh, yes.

And sect 4-2-1:

"Good phraseology enhances safety and is the mark of a professional pilot. Jargon, chatter, and 'CB' slang have no place in ATC communications."

Finish the darned thing first!!

Don you need to "Finish the darned thing first!!" then worry about the call sign. LOL

On my way to OSH Monday - yea!!! How about if I bring you back some propwash for a souvenir?

Ted

ATC ( Anthrax Testicle Currypowder) CALLING UNIDENTIFIED AIRCRAFT:

Is that Geneda with a "J" or a "G"?
This could get interesting...
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

That's Geneva Language in that there ICAO lingo

goto go 10/100 were out of here. I don't really think the FCC likes us using this lingo in Aircraft.... but they used to publish it.

Smilin' Jack

PSSSSS
in my amateur radio days it was Alpha Bravo ._ _...

_ _ ... ..._ _

Am I wrong to use "461 Don Geneda"
If the controller or another pilot has to take an extra second to think, "Wait - what did he say?", then yes, I would have to say it would be wrong.

There will be no question if you say, "Delta Golf". Otherwise, hey, was that Don or John? And that second word - was that a G or a J at the beginning?

A good reason to pic an N-Number that is easy to pronounce.

Initials, kids birthdays and other variations do offer a personal touch, but something easy to say - and more importantly easy to understand - should be a consideration too.

Best two initials

I'm happy with the Standard phonetics, I mean, who could beat these;

WHISKEY GOLF!

Back