What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Annual Condition Inspection at KCHD needed

paulevans

I'm New Here
Looking for a local A&P or DAR to perform an annual condition inspection due in couple months for an RV7 that is in a hangar at KCHD. Referrals and experiences welcome.

Last edited:
Looking for a local DAR to perform an annual condition inspection due in couple months for an RV7 that is in a hangar at KCHD. Referrals and experiences welcome.

You only need an A&P. You will pay MORE for a DAR and not get any more than you would from an A&P.

You only need an A&P. You will pay MORE for a DAR and not get any more than you would from an A&P.

On the other hand, he might get a better inspection from a DAR. A DAR is more likely to be familiar with the innards of an RV.

Well educate us Mel. I for one had no idea a DAR could even do a condition inspection (unless he was also an A&P).

From my experience it's pretty hard to become a DAR without being an A&P first, and most are, or have been, IA's as well. The best thing is to get someone who knows RV's to do the inspection. Many A&P's know what to look for on engines, but relatively few know the inner workings of RV's specifically.

As a new pilot, and even newer RV owner, I desire knowledgable, authorized, and capable personnel to ensure my aircraft is safe. There is NO question that experience with van's aircraft is necessary in order to understand the nuances. I am in the unfortunate position in that I gained a love for aviation later in life (40) and didn't build my aircraft myself. However, I am fortunate to have the ability to fly a product with exceptional quality and attention to detail. I am very conscious of the maintenance involved but feel the need to learn what I can from an experienced mechanic to "step up my game " every chance I get, hence reaching out on VAF.
I appreciate any leads for my condition inspection, and general maintenance issues that might exceed my abilities.

Go join a local EAA chapter and you will find plenty of help with your annual and whom to use for the inspection. Then you can also find help for any changes etc. that you might want to make to the airplane in the future.

John Morgan

I have found sadly in my circle of A&P/IA friends, they often get to "practice" on their very first ever EAB or Vans aircraft. I can guarantee the resulting condition inspection is NOT one you wish to have. DEMAND prior experience on Vans, and preferable on your model if you want a real condition inspection instead of a pencil one..

A&P at CHD

I've used a local a&p for the engine portion of my annual, who does a lot of work at chandler. He can do the sign off for you. He's up in Alaska now ferrying a plane, due back soon. He said he'd be happy to help you out.

B.J. (Rags) Rettzo, (602)697-4125

I've used a local a&p for the engine portion of my annual, who does a lot of work at chandler. He can do the sign off for you. He's up in Alaska now ferrying a plane, due back soon. He said he'd be happy to help you out.

B.J. (Rags) Rettzo, (602)697-4125

So are you saying he looks at the engine but will sign off the entire aircraft?

Back