What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ULPower for RV-3

10 G

Hello fellow aviators,

I hope I will be building an RV soon, I am closely watching UL power engines .... I think that UL 390 would fit an rv 3 perfectly.... with 220 lbs installed weight, it would make an lightweight, nimble but powerful rv3.

Are there any RV3 with ULPower engine or maybe with Jab3300?

Interesting idea.

Seems like a neat idea, but consider that most RV3s have issues with aft CG, so the weight reduction up front might require serious mount/cowl modifications to get the weight forward enough to counteract this. I'm not even near ready to install an engine in my 3 build, but I am watching the development of these new engines...

Thanks for the welcome

Installed weight should be more or less the same as with continental O200, and if I am correct old RV3 plans have O 200 option, so it would need an coustom engine mount, but I think this should not be a big deal.

I am more worried about ethanol... If I am remember correctly german OMW web site advise against storing ethanol mixed fuel in alu containers... so there may be an issue with fuel tanks?

Back