What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Camera Mount

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
I recently purchased and installed a VibeX from Flight Flix. I found their ad in a digital edition of Barnstormers. Their main claim to fame is that they eliminate jelly-roll / rolling shutter effect. In that regard they have a winner. A sample video is below and you can see that there is virtually no jelly-roll at all.

The up-side:
It virtually eliminates jelly-roll
At least on the RV-4 it has no adverse affect on handling or flight / stall characteristics

The down side is somewhat a larger list:
It is a large clunky thing
It seems to rob about 3-4 MPH
It makes the wing it is mounted on heavy all time
It is not very adjustable. The few adjustments that can be made are very course adjustments.

The camera always seems to point either too far up or too far down and too far outboard or too far inboard. I will play around with some other means of attachment.

Flight Flix is here: http://www.flightflixcameras.com/#!about-vibex-mounts/coo3

It looks like this on the airplane:

Mount%201.jpg

Mount%202.jpg

Mount%203.jpg

Video Here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd3I6Yq_GFc

That sure looks like a winner to me... Nice and smooth. I mounted my Drift Stelth on the tail, using the screws that hold the fibreglass tip on the vertical stab. I like the perspective, as you can see some of the airplane as well as where it's going. The vibration is horrible though. Definitely need one of these mounts to try.

I talked to a few guys at OSH that had the PlaneAround wingtip camera mount. It's got an airfoil shaped mounting post, and the guys I talked to left them mounted to their wings all the time, and didn't notice adverse effect.
http://planearound.com/GPRO-WINGTIP-MOUNT-GPWNG.htm

Unfortunately they don't have one for the Drift, but they do for the GoPro and Virb.

Not so subtle reminder

Just a reminder for all of us that have camera mounts on the outside of the plane..

It is REQUIRED that you place your plane back into Phase I and test the effect of the mounted camera and LOG that it has no adverse affects on the handling of the plane. Then place the plane back in Phase II.

The FAA has asked to see the log entries on ramp checks verifying this.

Camera's and video's are great fun but don't get into trouble by skipping this simple step.

I talked to a few guys at OSH that had the PlaneAround wingtip camera mount. It's got an airfoil shaped mounting post, and the guys I talked to left them mounted to their wings all the time, and didn't notice adverse effect.
http://planearound.com/GPRO-WINGTIP-MOUNT-GPWNG.htm

Unfortunately they don't have one for the Drift, but they do for the GoPro and Virb.

You can get an adapter. I got one as the GoPro mounts are much more prolific than the mounts for my drift.

I wonder how much additional movement it would introduce into the system.

Make your own

They have a good idea with the curved mount with slots for the screws allowing adjustment along the upper leading edge. It would be easy to incorporate those features in a home grown mount.

Old Camera Thread!!!!

...Some time ago I did an article for one of the magazines on sports action cameras and shared some of it (aviation related) here on the forums. Here is a link to that post; http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71052
... I have purchased and reviewed all of the latest versions of those cameras, also the Verb and Ghost S. The Ghost S is the hands down winner with superior video quality, ease of use, infinite mounting options and its rotating lens that always keeps the world right side up regardless of mounting locations and angles. The only thing that it doesn't offer is a built in gps with overlaying information capabilities. This function is easily accomplished with any of the cameras by downloading Garmin's integration software and adding the information in post production editing. We hope this information helps people on the fence. Thanks, Allan...:D

Last edited:
Just a reminder for all of us that have camera mounts on the outside of the plane..

It is REQUIRED that you place your plane back into Phase I and test the effect of the mounted camera and LOG that it has no adverse affects on the handling of the plane. Then place the plane back in Phase II.

Camera's and video's are great fun but don't get into trouble by skipping this simple step.
Thanks for sharing, Jerry. I will take a look at this logbook entry as I pretty regularly come and go with my camera(s) attached to the plane.

I know logic doesn't necessarily come first, but I wonder what makes these various externally attached camera installations on an EXP-AB plane any different than the ones strapped/clamped to production planes with no special consideration?

Can someone share:
1) Example of the logbook entry to put it back into Phase 1
2) Sample test card for how much testing the FAA maybe looking for this type of modification (Just a few stalls or do they want some other speeds and/or manuevers)
3) Example of logbook entry to approve mount and reture plane to Phase 2

Back