What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need Fiberglass support on Tip-up Canopy

lr172

Well Known Member
I intend to fit the plexi on the frame this week. I have seen a few references to folks using fiberglass to reinforce the fwd frame structure. It would seem it is an improvement, as Vans added support here on the 7.

The question is, Do I NEED it? I have already riveted the canopy skin on and the canopy frame pieces were powdered coated by the original owner of the kit. This would be an unpleasant job if I needed to do it.

Thanks for your guidance here.

Larry

I did

I added fiber glass overlap around the outside to create a side skirt and overlapping skirt on the back of my Rv 7 tip up. It adds rigidity and reduces wind noise. I did it after the canopy was glued and riveted, so it wouldn't required you to redo anything. Is it required, I don't think so,but it was the only major mod that I did outside of plan and I'm glad I did.

On my rebuild project, I removed the fiberglass bracing from my six tip up forward structure. It looked really bad and wasn't doing much to stiffen the canopy. A really unpleasant job. I installed the RV7 braces. It made a really big difference in stiffness and the canopy opens and closes much better. If you go this route contact me because I made a forming tool that worked nicely to bend the lip around the lighting holes in the new braces. You can have the tool. It requires a press though.

Copy the RV-7

The canopy is pretty floppy without some sort of stiffening there.

I added the foam/glass filler and I made a big difference - however the RV-7 solution with the metal webs would be best if the plexi is not attached.

Since your plexi is not yet installed, I would risk the powder coating and rivet in the metal webs.

Last edited:
7 stiffener works well

I used the 7 stiffener on my 6A tip up. the parts worked well with minimal modification.

On my rebuild project, I removed the fiberglass bracing from my six tip up forward structure. It looked really bad and wasn't doing much to stiffen the canopy. A really unpleasant job. I installed the RV7 braces. It made a really big difference in stiffness and the canopy opens and closes much better. If you go this route contact me because I made a forming tool that worked nicely to bend the lip around the lighting holes in the new braces. You can have the tool. It requires a press though.

Thanks for the offer. I will probably take you up on this. I do have a press. Can these -7 stiffners be added if the canopy skin is riveted on? I guess I won't be cutting the canopy tomorrow. I was hoping to get that done before I put the wheels on; Oh well, there always seems to be something that changes my plans.

Thanks for the guidance here. I'll order the parts tomorrow.

Larry

Steve,

I appreciate this offer. I ordered the brace kit today and should be here by Wed. I will send a PM with my contact details. If you could drop that tool at the post office tomorrow, I would appreciate it. I will communicate via PM to figure out how to cover the cost. I will then offer the tool up for the next guy to let your efforts help the larger community.

Thanks,

Larry

RV6 tip up support

If anyone has pictures or added info on the subject I would like to see them posted. I am going to redo my RV6 canopy in the near future. It has a crack and the front fiber glass work was sloppy and built up to high.
Thanks
Ron

Ron, I ground away my front fairing until the canopy was free from the top deck and was able to rivet the braces leaving the canopy in place. If you are replacing the entire canopy then it will be much easier to install the RV7 style braces. I also chipped away and ground off the fiberglass reinforcing from the inside channel of the canopy frame. It was ugly. Contact lr172 (Larry) for the use of the forming dies I sent to him. I believe he is finished with them.

Back