What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Graphics

Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
Guys, just a question about vertical stab graphics. Mine is solid red and I was looking for some sources for some graphics for the vert. stab. Ideas?

FastSigns

It was a 3M product, they had lots of options, I don't know the specifics. It was made for vehicle use.

a little advice

certainly go with a pirep from someone who has had a good experience with a specific shop. If you can't get that, then....if you folks are interested,
you want a cast vinyl, not calendared. The offerings have become blurred recently, with thinner and longer life, low cost films, so that the shop can make a little more margin.
what you want, of course, is the longest lasting, premium product. You do NOT want to be removing and re-doing your graphics in a couple years, so this is not the place to look for a 'good deal'. If I were designing and applying numerous lettering, emblems etc. on an aircraft, i would expect the materials to cost about 10% of the total job.
insist on name brand, premium cast vinyl, 2 mil thick, with an opaque, permanent adhesive. 3M, Avery, oracal, calon/arlon are a few of the most common.
I have yet to see a shop that does an excellent job in applying graphics over the tiny, tight rivets and seams on an aircraft. It is best to cut the vinyl at lap seams, so that when slight shrinkage occurs, it will not bridge and lift, causing a failure.
There are a lot of new, premium automotive 'wrap' films coming out, that are solid colour, have great re-positionable adhesive, but I've yet to see the track record on longevity.
after 30 years in the business, call me a cautious cynic!

+1 for Perry's advice. Make darned sure that your shop is only using the best vinyls such as Oracal 951 or Avery 900. There are many others, but make sure they are rated for 9 years or more of outdoor exposure for the best longevity.

Also, if the vinyl is metallic, printed, or other than a solid color, you should expect less longevity.

On the other hand, we typically keep our planes hangared, so there is some leeway in longevity, but please don't let a non-aviation shop tell you that the vinyls are all the same. They are not.

Just look around your town. You'll undoubtedly see lots of older signs with cracking, fading, or peeling letters. Those are often the result of using cheap calendared vinyls.

Think of it this way "CAST (vinyl) is made to LAST."

Back