What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step caps

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hi all, for now i’ve got duck tape covering up the tube at the end of the steps, those things are sharp!

Vans sells some bullet caps for those but they are pretty pricey ($28 for some plastic caps).

Any other creative solutions for this? I vaguely remember someone 3d printing these.

I bought a supply of white and black caps at Ace Hardware, they're cheap by comparison. They fit perfectly; take one in to match up correct size. I glue in place but occasionally a foot will kick one out. I just pop a replacement in.

To seal-up the ends of the foot steps, I used the following plastic end-plugs:

-- Hillman Round Cap Plugs (Black) 3/4"

I found these plugs at LOWE's. Granted, they are not "bullet-shaped" so you may lose 0.000001 knots due to flat-plate drag.

If you want to fill those somewhat unsightly tooling holes on your RV-12's wing tip bows, stab end ribs, and turnover bow, you might want to use the following finishing caps:

-- Hillman Arrow Clips - Nylon (White) #394150-C (for the 3/16" holes)
-- Hillman Arrow Clips - Nylon (White) #394148-A (for the 1/8" holes)

I found these caps at my local ACE Hardware store.

I found these round end caps at Outwater Plastics Industries, Inc., part numbers are C24-U21-BK (black) and C24-U21-WH (white). They are good quality, fit perfectly, and priced at .51 ea.

Attachments

• 10_15_21 step.jpg
    10_15_21 step.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 109
Well, having tried the hardware store plugs and finding that solution less than satisfactory, I bit the bullet, so to speak, and installed Van's speed plugs. The Van's plugs insert deeply into the tube and have grooves to accept Proseal or epoxy. Once installed according to directions, they will not be knocked out by stepping on them.
i-t8x85j9.png

They appear to be made of the same UHMW structural plastic as other parts in the kits. They can be sanded and accept primer and paint nicely.
i-LQLgVp8-L.jpg

A permanent solution.
At $28 per kit for two steps they seem extravagant, but it's only the price of a couple hamburger lunches.

Back