What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want a reason to get out of bed and fly your RV?

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
It's called IAC aerobatic competition!

Many of you saw previous post about my first contest last fall in Sebring. Here it is in case you missed it:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=143472&highlight=sebring

Well, I just returned from my second contest, the Snowbird Classic in Dunnellon, FL hosted by IAC chapter 89 in Ocala. I can tell you I'm hooked! My experience at this contest was just as fantastic as it was at Sebring. It was another very well run event by some of the finest people I've ever met. I can't tell you how welcomed everyone made me feel. It was nice to see some familiar faces and meet some new ones. I also got to know a little better some of the people I met at the judges school I attended a few weeks ago.

Judge's school you ask? Per Ron Shreck's suggestion (aka "foot stomper"), I attended the school. Why? It turns out that if you know what the judges are looking for, it makes you a better competitor. I think it had some effect! In addition, as I stated in the previous post, it takes a lot of volunteers in various positions to run a contest. it's nice to give back to a sport that has already given me so much. This time I got to fill the role of assistant judge. I helped the judge recall what figures (aerobatic maneuvers) to expect while carefully watching the competitor's sequence with a critical eye. I also got another chance to be a boundary judge. This is another position where one can learn a lot from.

If you already fly some aerobatics and really want to sharpen your skills and have a ton of fun, I want to encourage you to become member of the IAC, seek out a local chapter, and start practicing. If you don't feel like you are quite ready for competition, many chapters have practice days and aerobatic competition clinics such as the upcoming one in Rome, GA:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=147048&highlight=aerobatic+clinic

If you are not already flying aerobatics, please don't try this at home! Do get the proper training from an aerobatic instructor. You would be surprised how few hours it takes to feel confident in performing basic aerobatic maneuvers such as spins, loops, and rolls. The rest are just combinations of those, well mostly anyway. After completing a basic aerobatic course you will be ready to compete in at least the Primary category. This year's Primary Known sequence is a 45 degree upline, 1.5 turn spin, half Cuban 8, loop, 180 deg steep bank turn (aka competition turn), and a roll. Once you taste competition, you're gonna want more and you're gonna want to hurry out to the airport to practice.

So what's WRONG with the following pictures..... Not enough RV's!!! if 1% of us attended these contests we could take over the IAC (or at least through Intermediate category)! We are affectionately known as the RV mafia, but we need more representation. This time it was just myself in Sportsman and Bill "Willyeyeball" McLean in his 160 hp, fixed pitch RV in Intermediate. Yes, you read that right, INTERMEDIATE! Great job Bill!

Here I am with 2 Decathlons, a Pitts, and an Extra:
xnyu5v.jpg

My RV-8 with 3 Pitts and a Panzl:
iqd403.jpg

My RV with some heavy hitters, a Sukhoi, an Extra, and a Yak:
nowrrm.jpg

The Sportsman category flight order. Notice in addition to the Super Decathlons and Pitts's, I'm also competing against a Giles 202 and an Extra:
119340j.jpg

Sorry for the turned pictures. I use TinyPic for image hosting and it started doing this. Don't know why.

A typical scoresheet with comments. Serious learning takes place here after reviewing mistakes:
anh8jo.jpg

First round results. Here, I'm in 5th place, but I came back with a vengeance!
2yz0i06.jpg

2nd place on my second flight and 3rd place on my 3rd flight. I came in 2nd overall in Sportsman! Yaaayyyy!!!!
nvz5tw.jpg

So what's my secret? Nothing really, just turning fossil fuel into g's and unusual attitudes! Nothing will motivate you more to get out and fly your RV. Well barbecue maybe, but that's another story! In any case, I am looking forward to my next contest, and the next, and the next.... Stay tuned for another contest PIREP.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Vic! And a big thanks to the Falcon RV Squadron, Peachttree City, GA for everyone's support ant encouragement!

great PIREP

Wonderful write-up and pictures of a fun event and unbelievable success for just the second time contestant. Actually there were three RVs that came for the competition, but the gray/blue RV4 between Jerry's 8 and my 4, facing in the opposite direction was the baggage hauler for a father son team that flew a One Design in the Advanced category.

Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Wonderful write-up and pictures of a fun event and unbelievable success for just the second time contestant. Actually there were three RVs that came for the competition, but the gray/blue RV4 between Jerry's 8 and my 4, facing in the opposite direction was the baggage hauler for a father son team that flew a One Design in the Advanced category.

Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Thank you for everyone's wonderful comments!

Bill, I'm glad you got that picture of us together!

You have any pics of the Sportsman finals? I have people asking and the FB page has not posted any scores.

You have any pics of the Sportsman finals? I have people asking and the FB page has not posted any scores.

No, I don't. I never saw the final scores. I was hoping the scores and the scoresheets for the Unknown would show up at the banquet. I've been looking for the scores on the IAC website, but I guess it will be a few days before they get posted there.

It was great seeing you again!

Last edited:
Yay Jerry!
I started IAC aerobatics last year with my RV-8.
I fly in Washington & Oregon, so our paths won't likely cross this summer, so I can root for ya! (I would anyway)

Yay Jerry!
I started IAC aerobatics last year with my RV-8.
I fly in Washington & Oregon, so our paths won't likely cross this summer, so I can root for ya! (I would anyway)

Thank you Scott. You never know, maybe we could meet in the Midwest or even at Nationals some day! They moved Nationals from TX to Oshkosh this year. I'll be rooting for you too!

Thank you!

For the great right up, and congratulations. As mentioned above, very motivational. Love the VAF!

Back