What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BREAKFAST ENCORE

chrispratt

Well Known Member
My wife and I enjoyed the smooth air and breakfast so much last Friday that we decided to test our luck again today. This time at Sulphur Springs, TX (KSLR). (As a photography buff I wish my airport had this ID: SLR, perfect.)

The nice sunrise over the bridge on Lake Dallas made me think of all the professional pilots who have to literally face this almost daily in their jobs. Bright sun in the eyes ? you may as well be IFR. And I?m sure it?s worse heading West in the afternoon with the added heat.

We saw a lone hot air balloon hovering over Plano, TX which means virtually no wind, smooth air. We enjoyed this smooth air both out and back which is why we left early. By 10:00 a.m. around here the turbulence down low can get pretty uncomfortable for the passengers. As it was, we had smooth air even at 2,500 ft. for the entire trip.

Breakfast at the Red Barn Caf? ? a short walk across from the terminal at the south end of KSLR. Always a good, reasonably priced meal ? your basic American fare. Plus a friendly and often curious crowd when you walk in with your airplane hat and shirt on.

Received a nice compliment on my airplane by a worker at the airport as we were walking back to plane. That always makes me feel good. (Keep pounding those rivets ? it?s worth it.)

Have a great RV weekend.

Chris

Sunrise and the Lake Dallas bridge.

The ?Big Boss? directing the photography.

Where?s Waldo ? or in this case the Plano Balloon? There actually is one ? look for the white water tower and then at the 1 o?clock high position.

Oh, that?s better. You can see it now.

Can you name the mystery fruit/blossom? We don?t know, really. But this grows outside the Red Barn Caf?. My wife loves gardening and wants to know.

Classic American breakfast.

Back home safe and sound after our flying fix for the day.

Mystery Fruit

In Iowa, we call those Hedgeapples. They are growing on what the locals call Hedge trees. The proper name however is Osage Orange. The crooked but very hard and long lasting Hedge Posts come from this tree. It is also believed that if you put Hedgeapples in your basement, your basement will be spider free.

Hedge posts, by the way are fence posts. To my knowledge they are not edible, however, the critters in the wild sure seem to like them!

In Iowa, we call those Hedgeapples. They are growing on what the locals call Hedge trees. The proper name however is Osage Orange. The crooked but very hard and long lasting Hedge Posts come from this tree. It is also believed that if you put Hedgeapples in your basement, your basement will be spider free.

Thank you Rick. I appreciate the info.

Chris

They are mountain bike trail soccer balls for my morning ride. They are littering the trails right now and provide a continuous opportunity for a tire kick, even with squirrels attached!

They are mountain bike trail soccer balls for my morning ride. They are littering the trails right now and provide a continuous opportunity for a tire kick, even with squirrels attached!

:D:D:D Kick them squirrels Scott. Little tree rats that they are. :D

Osage Orange

The limbs of the Osage Orange have to be very strong to support the heavy fruit. I learned in dendrology class at LSU that American Indians used the wood from the trees to make bows because of that strength. I was also told that the fruit makes a good roach repellent. John

The limbs of the Osage Orange have to be very strong to support the heavy fruit. I learned in dendrology class at LSU that American Indians used the wood from the trees to make bows because of that strength. I was also told that the fruit makes a good roach repellent. John

John:

Amazing how a simple question has taught me a few things I would never have known otherwise, such as: what Native Americans used to make their bows (seriously, I've wondered about this); the definition of dendrology (I had to look it up); and another method of getting rid of those pesky roaches :D.

Thanks for your response.

Best,

Chris

One more name...

Bois-d'arc or as we would say "bodark" over in north central Texas.
And as mentioned about the American Indians using for their bows, hence "wood of the bow". Maybe its French...I don't know.

Chris, I never tested the roach repellent thing, but was told to cut the "orange" and put it under your kitchen sink. I'm sure you don't have roaches, but living here in Baton Rouge in a 60 year old home it's a battle staying ahead of the critters. Think I may try it. John

Back