What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Bahamas trip and things learned

Wiley

Did my first Bahamas trip over the last 2 weeks. Like others have said, it is very doable and I will return at some point. Thought I would relay a few experiences and lessons learned from my point of view.
I am a 900hr pilot. Finished the RV in 2014. Very comfortable with it and have made about 5 long distance trips. This is my first "over water" trip and first time out of the country.
My plane is classic skyview equipped with ADSB and AP. Garmin 396 also feeds into the Dynon.
After reading other write-ups and using an on-line Caribbean travel site, I was surprised at the weather. It was raining the entire time. Being VFR only, I had more anxiety during the trip wondering when we would be able to come home, than a concern of over water flight, or red tape problems. You forget how much weather data we have access to in the US compared to what is available on Cat and Long Island. Even discussions with US weather briefers led to multiple disclaimers of "well I have limited information, but..."

Customs to and from was no problem. Very user friendly.

I had two plane related problems:
1. My plane stays in a hangar. It has never had any significant rain. After about 15" of rain on long island, I was surprised by hydraulic lock of the engine on trying to start for departure. I pulled the #3 intake tube and drained about 3 cups of water from the sump. Removed the top plugs and cleared the cylinders. That was a bad feeling when I contemplated what I would need to do to get any significant engine repair work done. Started without difficulty and after running on the ground a while, was able to fly home without difficulty. On review of this forum, I was surprised at the limited remarks on this happening to others. I always thought a small amt of water may get in, but now realize all the water from the top of the cowling flows forward and follows the upper radius back into the cowling, landing right on the air cleaner. (horizontal induction). Will address with cowl plugs I suppose. I think the water flow volume would be to much for a 1/8" hole in the snorkel. +/- on the sniffle valve.

2. On my return, one hour from Fort Pierce, my AP released and I had pegged airspeed readings of 511mph and overspend warnings. AI was also going wacky. Alt and navigation otherwise functioning. Backup GPS working well. On my arrival, Dynon dx the problem as a faulty ADHARS-200. They overnighted one to me and that fixed the problem. The plane has 300hrs on it with first flight in 2014. The unit is out of warranty. New one was $1200. Now I have a faulty unit that is a minimum of $250 to diagnose. I don't think it can be used as a backup since the backup unit is a ADHARS-201. I will look in to it.

Beaches were unbelievable and I highly recommend Fernandez Bay Village and Cape Santa Maria.

Didn't get to go island hopping secondary to weather.

I will go again.

Eric, thanks for the write up. I've been to the Bahamas several times, but never in my RV-8. I've been to Cape Santa Maria twice and it's every bit as nice as you say. It's my wife's favorite beach.

I have often wondered and worried about the rain issue since I have a forward facing air scoop mated to the horizontal induction. I do have a drain hole in my air filter housing as well as a sniffle valve and figured that the sniffle valve would take care of what got past the drain hole. Plugging the scoop would slow it down a little too and I have yet to fashion one, but will before OSH.

I couldn't tell from your write up if you have a sniffle valve. Do you have one?

I do not have a sniffle valve. Although it may help, it seems people c/o them clogging. Also, there is still significant undrained area in the back of the plenum in the tailwheel configuration since the only plug is in the middle of the plenum floor. I may add to my canopy cover and extend it over the front of the cowling.

I found out from Dynon, I can send my old ADHARS-200 in and it will be considered, and paid as, an out of warranty repair en lieu of paying for a new unit. That helps. It seems a failure at 300hours is a little premature. Anyone agree/disagree? I've never had an overvoltage condition or other type of mishap that I know of.

Last edited:
Back