What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Push Rod Boots?

MED

Well Known Member
A friend asked if I was installing boots where the push rods enter the fuselage at the wing root. Anybody doing this? Did you make your own? :confused:

I did this on my -6A to reduce cold air. Got some lightweight rubberized fabric from local place and sewed up a pair and glued in place to the fuselage side wall. I tied the fabric through a slot sewn in the fabric around the control rod to cinch the fabric to the rod. Check and double check for clearances.

They can be bought from various sources, but most glider folks who have been using boots on the controls for years like myself make them at home.

On 2 planes now I'd installed them. I just take a set of Tyvek coveralls from the Home Depot paint department, cut the sleeves off just above the wrist and about 8 inches up the sleeve. Then zip tie it around the pushrod and make a small circle of aluminum the size of the sidewall opening and glue it with RTV / pop rivets in place to hold it to the sidewall.

I got mine from Abby, and it made a dramatic difference in reducing cold air entry. Her's are very nicely made.

I purchased a set from someone that is made out of nylon windbreaker material. Very light and works great.

I purchased a set from someone that is made out of nylon windbreaker material. Very light and works great.

Another material used by the glider guys is chamois leather, soft and flexible and glues well with contact cement.

On 2 planes now I'd installed them. I just take a set of Tyvek coveralls from the Home Depot paint department, cut the sleeves off just above the wrist and about 8 inches up the sleeve. Then zip tie it around the pushrod and make a small circle of aluminum the size of the sidewall opening and glue it with RTV / pop rivets in place to hold it to the sidewall.

I did just about the same thing.

Thank you to everyone. This certainly gives me something else to think about.

Pushrod Boot Pattern

Here is a pattern I downloaded a long time ago. Me and my friends have made a dozen or more from this pattern!

xkGGUpGh.jpg

https://imgur.com/xkGGUpG

Thanks goes to Fred.Stucklen.

Next up is to plug the huge hole at the wing root/fuselage in the spar pass through.

I chased cold drafts around my '6 for several months before fitting the boots - they made more difference than everything else I'd tried put together ... and I'd tried a lot of stuff :D.

I got mine from Abby at Flightline. I have flown with them since day 1. I was out flying this weekend at -6F and was actually comfortable in the RV-14 after I got climbing out. It's painful getting in when the engine isn't running though.

Aileron Push Rod Boots

Here is a pattern I downloaded a long time ago. Me and my friends have made a dozen or more from this pattern!

xkGGUpGh.jpg

https://imgur.com/xkGGUpG

Thanks goes to Fred.Stucklen.

Wow, that brings back memories! I used this design on all three of my RV's I built! All are still flying, one still in New England's cold winter weather. I still have that print on a legal size page... The only thing different is the email address...

Excellent Summary!!

Here are notes and photos of boots being constructed using the above drawing from Fred:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/cold.html#boots

Mine have been flying in the RV-6 for nearly 18 years and continue to work as designed.

Excellent summary (nicely done Sam!!) of all the details for warming the cabin. Note: Abby uses a strip of velcro on the split seam to allow installation without removal of the pushrod tube. It is sewn on the ripstop material. A light weight material retains the light control feel.

The exit hole for the push/pull tube in a 14 is much smaller than other models such as 6,7,9 and might not be nearly as effective to cover it.
I did this in my first 14 and forgo it in the second 14.
If you insist on doing it, a piece of thin foam, like 1/4" closed cell foam will do the job well.

On my -6, from the pattern that Tony posted. Nylon fabric from the fabric store.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 69
Back