What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The sleeper awakens! (My engine, that is)

sbalmos

Well Known Member
This past Saturday afternoon, after 5 years and 9 months of building, I successfully managed to awaken my plane's engine from its 13-year slumber. She kicked and protested, wanting to go back to sleep twice. But the third time around, I got the gas-to-noise generator to stay up and going.

FIRST ENGINE START WAS A SUCCESS!!!!

For reference, it is a Lycoming IO-320-E2A, running the full EFII injection/ignition system, spinning a Catto 3-blade wind generator. The engine was overhauled by its previous owner between 2004 and 2006, and then put into storage. Needless to say, I was subconsciously a nervous wreck, deep down not knowing what to expect. I readily admit that once I had run up to 1800 RPM, saw the temps and oil readings were fine, I took a few seconds to just sit back and enjoy the wind and noise.

A thank you to my Dad for the videography, RV-14 builder Bill Schweinberg for a few checks on attempts 1 & 2, and then a major major thank you to RV builder extraordinaire Jon Thocker of Redline for doing the run-up walk-arounds once the engine cooperated on attempt 3. Jon just happened to be doing his usual biking around the airport Saturday afternoon when he stopped by while I was prepping for attempt 3.

Afterwards, more than anything, there was a huge sense of relief. Here on out, it's bug-fixing and finishing work. But now I know I have, in the most important mechanical sense, a working plane.

https://youtu.be/uZdtpZtS7LY

Last edited:
congratulations!

as a buyer not a builder, I am so impressed with guys like you who get out there and get 'er done!

Way cool Scott

A major milestone you can check off there. Hopefully you won't take as much time as I did between the airworthiness and first flight on my bird. I had a steep learning curve getting through the system checks on my plane with all the electronic gadgets and obtaining a good comfort factor. Didn't help that the airport is far away and winter struck in the middle of it all.

You got a good support staff hanging around Butler so you should be fine.

Congrats Scott! Big milestone. You'll be flying before you know it. Please let me know when that is set to happen.

yes, that's a big milestone. nice to see someone trying something new with the engine fuel injection.

Back