What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 with rear seat G3X

jonweisw

Well Known Member
Couldn't help myself. And with a coterie of people with enough interest in flying in varying degrees, this made sense to me....Plus, it looks really cool.

TREMENDOUS thanks to David Buchwalter at Avionics Systems in Leesburg, VA who designed and retrofitted BOTH panels. His work is absolutely impeccable, prices reasonable, and he completed the work ahead of schedule in both instances. Can NOT say enough good things about him.

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

Jon

Last edited:
Looks great! How is the space to enter the rear seat? I am also installing a G3X in the back seat but I cut out some space for the knees to slide in.

Doesn't seem to be a problem. I am most definitely including in my 'boarding briefing' the need to be cognizant of the knobs which, undoubtedly not cheap, I don't want to replace. Looks good whatcha got there!

"Beautiful Doll" RV-8 was on display at the Garmin Tent AirVenture 2017 with a G3X Touch Portrait display mounted for the rear seat pilot. I like the way it was done I did a short video of the installation. I plan to steal the idea and copy the install when I get around to doing avionics installation in the RV-8 I am building.

The link to the video is "Unlisted" but I have not problem with sharing it with other RV builders.

Can the GIB with access to a G3X change the radio & transponder from that screen?

Maybe if a get my wife to take the pitch hitter course I could convince her "we" need a panel upgrade.

Looks very nice. It would make flying backseat much more interesting.

Can the GIB with access to a G3X change the radio & transponder from that screen?

Maybe if a get my wife to take the pitch hitter course I could convince her "we" need a panel upgrade.

Looks very nice. It would make flying backseat much more interesting.

I checked it with the Garmin guys before I bought my GDU450 for the rear seat and it will be set up as PFD #2. So it should be possible to change the radio, transponder and autopilot from the rear seat. Only the NAV frequencies won`t be accessible from the rear seat. This was the reason I bought the GDU for the rear seat instead of a IPad with the Garmin Connext Data.

I hope everything will work as planned as I did not yet have done the "smoke test"....

It totally does EVERYTHING the front panel PFD does. It also does everything the MFD does (ie, all the maps, engine parameters, approach charts, etc...). You can completely drive the autopilot including altitude and heading adjust and mode select, which means the the back seat guy could totally fly the plane from just after takeoff until just before landing in an IFR setting. The ONLY thing it doesn't do in that setting is allow you to make modifications to the flight plan, which is done on the GTN650 and not (easily) accessed from the G3X. So if the controller modifies a clearance or asks for direct to a waypoint, that has to be accomplished from the front (which touches on my only real issue with the G3X/GTN650 combination - that flight planning for IFR plans has to be done on the small GTN650 screen as opposed to the the larger G3X and then pushed into the GTN. This is apparently due to the fact that the G3X is not IFR certified).

my only real issue with the G3X/GTN650 combination - that flight planning for IFR plans has to be done on the small GTN650 screen as opposed to the the larger G3X and then pushed into the GTN.

This is where the "total Garmin echo system" has an advantage. You can flightplan with Garmin Pilot on your tablet (or phone) and then "push" it to the GTN via the G3X Touch. You still make enroute changes via the GTN but the initial flightplan can originate from the tablet.

I find that, even though I get advisories on expected routing in advance, there is enough variability in what I am actually assigned from Clearance delivery (im in the NYC metro area) that it doesn't make sense to preload the GPS with a clearance from a tablet, hence the manual input. Also, the G3X does NOT do victor airways... a major shortcoming in terms of flight planning.

This is where the "total Garmin echo system" has an advantage. You can flightplan with Garmin Pilot on your tablet (or phone) and then "push" it to the GTN via the G3X Touch. You still make enroute changes via the GTN but the initial flightplan can originate from the tablet.

Or go with the Avidyne IFD540 instead of the GTN-650. They are about the same price. I have five years flying IFR with the GTN-650 but will use the IFD540 in the new RV-8 project. The user interface is built in and you get a real display.

Carl

Looks great! How is the space to enter the rear seat? I am also installing a G3X in the back seat but I cut out some space for the knees to slide in.

Yves,
Have you considered the issue of flesh covered bony appendages coming into contact with the edges of the rear panel? I cannot tell from your pics exactly, but it sure looks like some sharp edges on that aluminum. It could be just the pics but if those are sharp edges on the panel you might want to consider something to protect the passengers legs from those edges.

Or go with the Avidyne IFD540 instead of the GTN-650.

size-wise, the GTN-750 matches up to the IFD540 but the challenge in the tandems is the available panel real estate when there are two screens already.

the G3X does NOT do victor airways...

This is another "nicety" if you use Garmin Pilot. It handles clearances with airways.

That said, enroute changes are still a lot of button pressing with the GTN.

Last edited:
size-wise, the GTN-750 matches up to the IFD540 but the challenge in the tandems is the available panel real estate when there are two screens already.

The stock RV-8 panel will accommodate the IFD540, one 10" SkyView, one 7" SkyView, Audio Panel, COMM #2, Autopilot Panel, Knob Panel, associated breakers and has room left over for a 3 1/8" analog airspeed instrument.

Carl

The stock RV-8 panel will accommodate the IFD540, one 10" SkyView, one 7" SkyView, Audio Panel, COMM #2, Autopilot Panel, Knob Panel, associated breakers and has room left over for a 3 1/8" analog airspeed instrument.

The compact avionics from Dynon do enable some very functional panel designs.

I checked it with the Garmin guys before I bought my GDU450 for the rear seat and it will be set up as PFD #2. So it should be possible to change the radio, transponder and autopilot from the rear seat. Only the NAV frequencies won`t be accessible from the rear seat. This was the reason I bought the GDU for the rear seat instead of a IPad with the Garmin Connext Data.

I hope everything will work as planned as I did not yet have done the "smoke test"....

Thank you!

I find that, even though I get advisories on expected routing in advance, there is enough variability in what I am actually assigned from Clearance delivery (im in the NYC metro area) that it doesn't make sense to preload the GPS with a clearance from a tablet, hence the manual input. Also, the G3X does NOT do victor airways... a major shortcoming in terms of flight planning.

You can't load victor airways on the G3X (it does show them) but the GTN units do, and curious why would you be using an airway without the IFR navigator?

I flight plan in the GTN650, which is IFR certified. I set the G3X for external GPS (so that it is keying off the GTN). I do not use the G3x for any flight planning per se.

Yves,
Have you considered the issue of flesh covered bony appendages coming into contact with the edges of the rear panel? I cannot tell from your pics exactly, but it sure looks like some sharp edges on that aluminum. It could be just the pics but if those are sharp edges on the panel you might want to consider something to protect the passengers legs from those edges.

Hi,
yes, on the previously posted pictures not everything was shown. Below the panel is another piece of sheetmetal with round edges (and some edge protection will follow as well:
r1yk9s.jpg

Back