What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New molding process for wing tips?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I was at the factory and noticed that the RV10 wing tips appear to be finished in a glossed grey color - similar to the cowling. Not sure if they are are no longer finishing these in gelcoat or if for some reason they were inventoried before sending out for gelcoating, but looks like we might be transitioning away from dealing with gelcoat in the future.

Anyone able to confirm if they are receiving non-gelcoated tips?

WP_001971.jpg

I got the gray wing tips in my wing kit that shipped a month or so ago.

I haven't seen one of the previous wing tips in person, so I can't really compare, but these are still gel coated... as far as I can tell. The gel coat seems thinner than it was on the empennage tips, as I can see more weave of the cloth thru it.

P1010871.JPG

P1010872.JPG

P1010874.JPG

P1010876.JPG

P1010878.JPG

Your last pic shows well. I see a wavey davey in the shop light reflection, but at least it doesn't look any worse than the older ones.

...or if for some reason they were inventoried before sending out for gelcoating...

Gelcoat is a mix of polyester resin and talc that is almost always applied to the mold first. The composite laminations are then applied on top of it. For most molded parts, it is applied after the molding process only to cover seams or as part of a repair.

When you see the weave of the reinforcement cloth through the gelcoat, it is called "print through." It does not necessarily occur because the gelcoat is applied thinly. It could be that the first ply of cloth is too coarse, or because something in the cure process accentuated the difference in mechanical properties between the reinforcement cloth, the resin, and the gelcoat.

Thanks, Bob K.

Back